First Weeks

The first two weeks of the semester have been very engaging and I am looking forward to the rest of the semester, I’m taking three courses with a PE quarter credit as well. I started my week on Monday with Individualized Fitness with volleyball coach Mark Massey. Then on Tuesday I start in the morning with Presidency and Congress taught by Professor David Sousa. Next I have History of the United States in the 1960s with Professor Nancy Bristow. Finally, Tuesday from 6-9 I have my Senior Seminar in US politics with Professor Bill Haltom.

Friday was LogJam, one of my favorite events of the year. It starts at 5 pm with a club fair and food available for faculty, staff, and students. The activities fair is a great time to walk around, see friends freshly back from summer, and check out new clubs and organizations on campus. Music from campus groups and local groups always accompanies the food. This year, we had a helicopter to take a picture of students filling a giant P and S, and also to drop ping pong balls that could then be redeemed for prizes. The helicopter flew over the field to Flight of the Valkyries, which was a very cool effect.

Saturday was the first football game under new head coach Jeff Thomas. The team played well and there was a great crowd there to support the team to a 36-19 victory over Pacific. Our offense and defense are both exciting and the guys all seemed to have fun. It is great to be in a crowd that is supporting the team and able to watch a victory.

The rest of the weekend I spent seeing friends who were gone over the summer. It was great to catch up with everyone and watch college football while we did. Of course, now that school has begun, there is a lot of school work to do as well. But so far all of my reading and response essays have been interesting.
Now school starts to settle in and I get to start looking forward to Parents’ Weekend and Homecoming in early October.

This entry was posted in Dan Miller '11. Bookmark the permalink.