First Lasts

In a word, Perspectives was incredible! The group of leaders this year was out of this world, and the Class of 2014 – as well as all of the new transfer students – really seems to be one for the record books. Everywhere I looked, I saw new students excited about and engaged in Orientation activities. I can’t wait to see what this year brings because I have a great feeling after only 9 days of Perspectives! I could go on and on about how magical our Orientation program (especially Perspectives) is, but maybe I’ll save that for another time. For now, though, I’ll leave you one of my favorite pictures from the week:

Here I am during Urban Plunge (at L’Arche Farms Tahoma Hope) with one of the new transfer students on the right, and a Tawna, one of the L’Arche Core Members, in the middle. Transfers go out to L’Arche every year, and it never ceases to amaze and inspire!

Campus has really changed in the past three days as all of the upperclassmen have moved back into on- and off-campus housing. I have been able to see some friends that I hadn’t seen since December (before I left for Scotland). The sidewalks are buzzing again. Diversions (our student-run coffee shop) is abuzz with hugs and summertime stories. It really feels like the Puget Sound I know and love again, and I couldn’t be happier!

I’m not quite as happy about (but still looking forward to) classes in the morning. Biochemistry will be my first American class in a long time, but I’m really looking forward to my schedule this semester: Biochemistry, Human Physiology, Personal Finance, and American Schools. I’m hoping that it will be a good balance of science and reading and math and everything. I’ll admit that I’m nervous about the work load (especially considered to the paltry amount of work I did in Scotland!), but I need to remain confident in the time management skills that I have learned in my 21 years of life and that Puget Sound (and Lake Forest) has taught me in the past. I can’t even begin to think about the fact that this is my senior year. It doesn’t seem like college could possibly be ending already! I just hope I can take advantage of everything this year has to offer, both in the classroom and out.

Finally, I heard back from Teach For America on Friday, and I have been invited to a phone interview! This is the second step in the three-step interview process. I’m really excited to be able to show them a little bit more of my personality and passion for TFA’s mission! Of course, I can only continue to prepare a ton and hope for the best… My phone interview will be in late September, so I won’t know the results of that for a while.

Here’s to another “first last” as a I prepare for my last First Day of School in the morning. I have a feeling that Senior Year is going to be fantastic!

This entry was posted in Alayna Schoblaske '11. Bookmark the permalink.