Lessons from Week Two of Summer Research

Hello All! Hope this post finds you doing well. Following last week’s trend (and not being sure of what to write) I decided to think of the lessons learned in the past week. Here they are:

1. The monotonous, mundane, every day tasks build character.

In the past week, I have started to really get the hang of lab techniques. It doesn’t take me forever to understand DNA amplification, add mixtures, or set up a gel electrophoresis.

Similarly, in my everyday life, washing dishes, making my bed, and cooking aren’t such a big deal anymore.

I remember when I first started learning how to wash dishes. Much to my dismay, I broke a glass and soap went everywhere! Later on in life, in my first year of General Chemistry, I definitely broke more glass than I would like to admit.

Additionally, I don’t think I’ve ever understood the logic behind bed making other than it looks nice in the morning before you leave the house. However, in the past few days, I’ve noticed that making my bed actually helps with feeling more empowered and in control. It’s as if making a bed is a starting block that builds into confidence. If one can make his or her bed in the morning, and that one event is goes well, that one event can be the start of a good day.

Last, but not least, cooking has always terrified me. My mom was always a good cook. I was not. Am not. (In my defense, despite my lack of cooking skills, at least I don’t burn water.) However, since starting summer research and living on my own, I’ve been forced to cook. It hasn’t been easy, but it’s getting easier and less terrifying.

Overall, repetition helps overcome obstacles. My obstacles were fear of the unknown and not knowing how to do experiments properly. In the lab, repeating the same steps and procedures over and over really helps the time spent in lab go smoother. In daily life, tasks that seem irrelevant teach persistence, perseverance, endurance, and patience.

2. Ruston Way is really, really, really beautiful.

Other than the fact that I have a slight ocean obsession, Ruston Way is truly beautiful. It could be due to the fact that the waves are continuous and consistent. It could be due to the fact that high and low tides are predictable. Or, it could be due to not being able to form words because your breath is taken away. Whatever it is though, you should definitely put Ruston Way on your list of places to see!

(Ruston Way is also a great place to go for a walk, run, or bike ride. Or, if food floats your boat, there are quite a few good restaurants to try out.)

3. Fight for a better life

The crab that I extracted bacteria off of sure did! Guaranteed this crab and the larger crab were not happy campers when first arriving in the lab. At first, it seemed that both crabs were screaming, “What are you doing to me?!?” and “Stop poking at me! Who do you think you are anyway?!?”

However, when taking pictures the next day of Herman (what I named the crab), he was much friendlier. In fact, Herman was pretty photogenic, cooperated, and didn’t do the normal crab behavior of scurrying away sideways.

DSCN6873 DSCN6877

(The tape was to label the crabs so later on I won’t confuse the different crabs.)

Instead of thinking of the negative, positivity should be our predominant thoughts. Our motto should be, “Things have to get better” instead of “What could be worse?” Instead of being complacent or apathetic, we should be motivated to look for the good in everything. Each small step forward contributes to a larger goal.

This entry was posted in Ariana Lim '14 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.