Summer is here!

Hello everyone!  This is my first post for Voices, so I thought I’d give a short introduction.  I’m Alisa Wallace, and I just finished my sophomore year here at University of Puget Sound (and what a year it’s been!).  I’m a biology major and I’m most likely going to end up with a minor in chemistry.  I’m really passionate about what I study and plan on attending graduate school, getting a doctorate, and doing research for my career (there’s still quite a few details in there that need to be fleshed out).  Which brings me to the most exciting part of this summer: I’ll be doing research for the first time!  I got a research grant from the school and will be heading to Portal, Arizona for six weeks with my professor Stacey Weiss.  Stacey’s area of study is in ecology and animal behavior, so while I’m there I’ll be investigating how the striped plateau lizard utilizes skin pheromones in its mating behaviors.  I am beyond excited for this opportunity, and I leave on May 16!  I’ll be sure to update more on my adventures and shenanigans in the Arizona wilderness.

But for the moment:  summer is finally here!  I can honestly say I’ve never been so relieved for the break.  Even if I have six weeks of hard work ahead of me, the change will be welcome.  I came across this video that summarizes the struggle that is finals week (with “Nessun Dorma” as the soundtrack), which you can see here.  I’m still in that last stage of sinking back onto the bed in relief.  Besides, it’s been absolutely gorgeous here.  This campus in the spring is a whole new level of beauty.

I need to get back to packing now, but I look forward to sharing my summer research experience as it unfolds!

This entry was posted in Alisa Wallace '14. Bookmark the permalink.