Summer in Tacoma

Even though I’m about to begin my senior year, this is my first summer in Tacoma. It has been a great experience so far. I’m staying in Tacoma to do my work as Associated Students of Puget Sound (ASUPS) President and also to take some summer classes. I’ve had the pleasure of staying on campus with the other executives in an on campus house. It has been great to work, eat, and spend time with all of them.

Campus is a different place during the summer. While class is in session, students are everywhere around campus, and one of my favorite aspects of Puget Sound is that every destination involves multiple encounters with friends along the paths. During the summer, Puget Sound students are a bit rarer, although we do have a variety of conferences that fill the dorms and diner. It does make running into a fellow student a bigger pleasure. Whether it is at the grocery store, in the SUB (Student Union Building – Wheelock Student Center), or at a restaurant it is always worth taking an extra moment to see how they have been.

Since the end of June, I’ve been taking two courses; one in Geology with Professor Valentine, and the other a History course about the West and Northwest with Professor Sackman. Both of the courses are challenging and I am learning a lot. Having class four days a week for multiple hours each day has made for a different pace than the school year, but not necessarily a bad one.

The quietness of campus has allowed me explore the greater Tacoma and Seattle area. I have been able to take advantage of the activities and sights that Puget Sound has to offer. I have been to several Mariners’ games this summer, enjoyed the scenery of Point Defiance Park, and even traveled across to the mountains to see the 4th of July fireworks in Ellensburg.

Earlier in the summer I was also lucky enough to take a vacation to Hawaii and visit one of my buddies from school. It was great to have a local guide and see a lot of the sites that tourists don’t usually get to see. Joe, a recent graduate joined us before he started working in Seattle. I came back from the trip refreshed and ready to launch into the various projects that ASUPS has planned for the summer.

I will leave you with this for now. Before you go to sleep tonight, take a moment for yourself to do something you enjoy, no matter how busy you are.

This entry was posted in Dan Miller '11. Bookmark the permalink.