Lawyer? Technical Editor for Microsoft? Opera Singer? How about all three?

Kelly Vomacka ’87 has done just that.

This Thursday, October 20th, the Kelly Vomacka
Honors Program is bringing Kelly to campus to give an introduction to the Seattle Opera’s production of Carmen, sing a couple of famous arias, and talk about pursuing all of your interests after graduation.

CES: Kelly, how does opera singing fit with your other professional pursuits?

Kelly: The way I think of it is that the singing and the other pursuits complement each other.

I’ve described it before as a “double star”—each part of my life pulls on the other and keeps it in balance. No matter what’s going on at work, singing clears it out. And no matter what’s happening with singing, the work settles it down—and pays the bills!

I like the variety. I wouldn’t even want to do just one thing full time.

CES: Ever feel compelled to burst into song in the courtroom? ; )

Kelly: Never once.  : )

CES: What is it like to sing in the Seattle Opera chorus?

Kelly: It’s fantastic!

The other night we were in a dress rehearsal. The chorus was on stage, in costume, under the lights, with our amazing orchestra playing, and we were just singing about selling oranges and fans. Not the most dramatic moment in Carmen, to be sure. But the thought hit me, “This is so much fun! I can’t believe I’m here right now!” And this is after 10 shows with them.

The people are nice and interesting and smart. I doubt there’s a single person in the chorus who doesn’t speak three languages, or who can’t at least muddle through them. And it’s a highly varied group—different ages, different backgrounds, different interests. The only thing they seem to have in common is a love of, and talent for, singing. And the many many people involved who aren’t choristers are also uniformly terrific.

It’s a great pleasure, and I feel privileged to be a part of it all. I’m looking forward to sharing it with Puget Sound students!

© 2011 Career and Employment Services, University of Puget Sound
Photo: Kelly Vomacka