Can you guess what the following people have in common?

A business consultant for Alvarez and Marsal
A small account manager and fundraiser for the United Way of King County
A solar energy developer with Iberdrola Renewables
And
A sea otter aquarist for the Monterey Bay Aquarium

Alumni collage

They’re all Puget Sound graduates
They’re all members of the Alumni Sharing Knowledge (ASK) Network
And
They’re all profiled on the CES Alumni Career Paths website!

Here are a few highlights from their profiles:

Q: How did your experiences during college prepare you for your career?

A: Every experience I had at the University of Puget Sound prepared me for my career in one way or another… I had a number of on and off-campus jobs, which served as great introductions to the professional world and allowed me to build a base set of skills prior to graduation. Clubs and activities (I was a Peer Advisor, RA, and held positions in my sorority) contributed significantly to my ability to be prepared for my career.
Kelsey McKee ’08, Business and Foreign Language/International Affairs

Q: What job search tips do you have for students?

A: Never underestimate the help and resources available at CES. I became a frequent visitor, whether it was revising my resume for the tenth time or acquiring interview skills.
Cole Hardman ’10, International Political Economy

Q: Do you have any tips or resources for students looking for entry-level positions?

A: Connect with Puget Sound alums and others in the fields you are interested in and do some informational interviews. This is a great way to learn about career paths, including the pros/cons, and to start building the relationships necessary to land a job in the field you want.
Jessica Singh ’00, English

Q: What would surprise students to learn about the culture at the Monterey Bay Aquarium?

A: Not everyone who works at the aquarium has a degree in marine biology, oceanography, or animal care. People who work here come from a wide variety of professional and educational backgrounds, and it is that very diversity that adds to the depth of experience and very character of the aquarium.
Mika Yoshido ’99, English

Read the complete profile of these alumni, along with others, on the CES Alumni Career Paths webpage.

Connect with more than 2600 Puget Sound alumni through the Alumni Sharing Knowledge (ASK) Network.

AND

Attend ASK Night on Thursday, September 15! Kelsey McKee, Cole Hardman, and other ASK members will be on campus to talk with students about their careers and life after Puget Sound.

© 2011 Career and Employment Services, University of Puget Sound
Photo Collage: Kris Hay