Guest blogger, Ada Ruzer ’11

What a busy and sleep deprived week! Normalcy definitely fell by the wayside as I frantically worked not only to put together the first draft of my thesis but also wrote and revised personal statements to turn in for a teaching fellowship. Both of these projects represent the limbo of college life on the cusp of completion. The culmination of my undergraduate work is pressing—I’ve devoted hours to learning and understanding a specific population, and now have to compile my analysis. On the other hand, in a month in a half it will all be over, and I’m going to need a job and a plan. So how did I manage? Is there any way to squeeze in career development without going crazy?

I’m lucky as the career peer advisor to have career advisors surrounding me. Still I know how difficult it can be to motivate oneself to write a cover letter or resume after a long day in the library, when all you really want to do is kick back. As I’ve said all year, the baby steps are what make it manageable. If you haven’t been to CES this year (and even if you have), make an appointment with our career advisors—simply half an hour to ask questions, explore career options, and figure out what jobs may interest you can do wonders. It’s like a professionally focused therapy session, during which questions and possible fears can be worked through.

Beyond that, remember that once a cover letter is written, you will most likely find that the content can easily be adapted for other applications. Same goes for a resume. Really, just get that information down, refine it during a review session at CES, and then tailor it according to each position you’re applying for.

At the end of the day, it’s is not about finding the perfect job right after college per say, but more about figuring out and exploring a career path that can lead you to professional satisfaction.

Now, it’s time for a study break…coffee anyone?

© 2011 Career and Employment Services, University of Puget Sound
Photo: Kris Hay

Save

Save