By Liz Mosher ’10, CES Peer Advisor

Lizzy_GradI began this blog series with no more than a vague idea of what my job search process would look like.

Up until now I’ve followed a path through the education system paved with smooth transitions. Now that it has come to an end, I have to decide on my next big step.

But, as you’ve seen throughout my blogs, I’ve learned that the next step isn’t necessarily the BIG one. Although it’s exciting and full of unknowns, when it gets down to it, whatever happens, happens. No matter what I choose to do, I’ll learn about myself and inevitably move that much closer to finding my life’s calling.

I’ve accepted that this process is neither easy, nor quick. While I wonder what I’m going to make of life, I have to remember to take risks and follow my instincts. When it comes to creating the life that’s right for me, what may work for somebody else may not necessarily work for me.  It’s much like dating if you think about it. I figure out what I want and like and the employers do the same; then somewhere along the line, when opportunity meets preparedness, a match is made. There’s no use searching for the PERFECT job, just like there’s no use waiting for the perfect match. You have to really experience something to gain appreciation, subsequently learning to embrace any so-called flaws. What may not seem like the perfect fit could well end up as the job of a lifetime!

What I’ve truly learned this semester, however, is that I’m not alone. With headlines flooded by remarks about a troubled economy, more and more people are empathizing with college graduates. People want us to succeed. Fortunately we have a vast array of resources available to us Loggers: faculty, staff, Logger[net], the Alumni Sharing Knowledge (ASK) network, and (of course) CES. Full of knowledge, resources, and a broad professional network, CES has by far served as one of my most valuable job-search tools. And I’m not just saying that because I work here.

Even though I haven’t yet found a job for next year, I have managed to subdue my stress and anxiety by actually taking advantage of my resources and advisors. As I continue on my way into the work force, I can always fall back on the support of our Career and Employment Services Office and fellow alumni. When it comes to finding a job, I now know that I don’t have to do it alone. After all, I am a Logger with the access to an incredible support system full of amazing resources; I might as well use them.

© 2010 Career and Employment Services, University of Puget Sound
Photo: Sue Dahlin