Returning home

Some of you may remember me from last spring, when I blogged about my study abroad experience in Namibia and the Southern Africa region. This year, I am replacing sun block, lazy afternoons by the pool, and constant cultural immersion, for raincoats, afternoons spent in Diversions Cafe, and re-immersion into life on our beautiful campus. Join me as I appreciate my final year at Puget Sound.  I’m approaching this year with excitement, anticipation, and a little bit of nostalgia.

Beautiful Tacoma

I arrived to Tacoma in early August to fill in as a temporary student worker in the school accounting department before classes resumed. That job gave me a huge appreciation for the hard work that countless staff members put forth to make our school run smoothly. For those few weeks, I was inspired by the dedication of the accounting team that literally pays all of the institution’s bills– keeping our library full of books, our dining hall brimming with food, and our buildings sparkling clean and well maintained.

Another perk of my early arrival was getting to see all the freshmen move in for their week of orientation. Three years ago it was me who was tearfully saying good-bye to family and heading off to experience the magic of Passages. In many ways that feels like forever ago; I have grown up and challenged myself to accomplish things I never imagined I could do. And yet, I still vividly remember that pivotal day. To the freshmen, I say cherish these new moments and memories. You only get to experience the freshness of a new beginning once in your time here. To the seniors, look back and see how far we have come and what a journey it has been and continues to be.

This entry was posted in Abigail Struxness '13. Bookmark the permalink.