Providence & Proportional Fractions

I write this as I lay in bed savoring the last couple of hours of Fall Break. Have I done as much work as I thought I would (to get ahead in my classes)? No. Am I totally ready for my TFA interview on Thursday? No. But did I love every moment of break, and am I happy to be hitting the ground running as the second half of the semester starts? Oh, yes. (Plus, Thanksgiving break is just 34 days away, right?)

Providence was great, and a good taste of some of the things I miss most about Edinburgh: narrow brick buildings, cobblestones, crisp weather, and my friends. It was also just good to get on a plane and GO somewhere. It’s easy to get cabin fever after staying in one city for 5 months (compared to traveling every weekend for a semester), so traveling to a new city, a new campus, and new people (not to mention lots of new yummy restaurants… and no cafeteria food in sight) was just the momentary shake-up I needed.

IMG_9623Here are Bri and I pretending to be Brown students… Bri goes to Wellesley, and I, of course, go to Puget Sound, so we borrowed our friends’ IDs to get into the Brown vs. Harvard soccer game. Although Harvard was wearing Logger colors, and the game ended in a 0-0 draw, Brown was clearly the better team. Go Bears!

IMG_9617And here we are (I promise I didn’t spend my whole weekend with just Bri… some of the group shots wouldn’t upload) in front of Brown’s Chemistry building, since she’s a Chemistry major, too. Looks a little bit like Harned, huh?

IMG_9649We had a potluck to celebrate our mini reunion (not everyone could make it to this because Brown is right in the middle of midterms right now, too, so some friends were busy studying). The crisp fall weather was gorgeous, and my friend – who works at Ben & Jerry’s in Providence – even brought an ice cream cake with “Scotlove” written on it!

Overall, it was a great weekend. Now, my main focus – since my midterms are basically over – is my Teach For America final interview on Thursday. I’m practicing my 5-minute lesson plan on cross-multiplcation, and preparing answers to all the generic interview questions I can get my hands on! It’s amazing to think that the interview on Thursday could determine my trajectory for the next 2 years… We’ll see how it goes, but, as always, I’m hoping for the best!

I hope you are all loving the changing colors of the trees (Puget Sound will reach it’s peak beauty here in about a week), and to prospective high school senior out there… I hope your college search/narrowing down continues to go well. It’s crazy that my search was 4 years ago, since I still remember it so well. If you have any questions about Puget Sound, campus life, or college applications in general, never hesitate to contact me at aschoblaske@pugetsound.edu.

This entry was posted in Alayna Schoblaske '11. Bookmark the permalink.