With less than a month of school remaining, anxieties are on the rise.
Enrique Vargas ’12, CES Career Advisor, is on the verge of graduating.
How is he dealing with the strain?

“I have essays to write, portfolios to compile, homework to do, and I’m hard-pressed to find time for job searching and preparing for life after graduation. But I need to find time or else I might end up back home on my parents’ couch—yikes!

Lately I’ve found that a mantra has manifested itself in my life—one with very real motivations—“I could be getting a job!” This constant thought prompts me to think about a few things I need to do:

Get professional
Because my current wardrobe is that of a college boy, I’ve been saving money for a business wardrobe.

Not only might it make or break an interview, I want to represent myself professionally so I feel confident and know that I’m worth the job offer. Not to mention, once I get a good job, I’ll need to dress professionally—I’ll have to look the part.

Get motivated
Getting motivated can be hard, but things seem less daunting when you break them up across many weeks.

Set aside an hour or so every other day to work on your job search. And don’t forget to make a check list of employers you’re interested in, job opportunities, and any important dates. Having a list to prompt you can help make sure you keep refining your resumes, cover letters, and any other application materials.

Get in the mindset
It’s all about a positive attitude. The way I see it, these are small investments that I know will have a very real payoff in the end. By setting aside a small bit of money every month and a little bit of time every week, I’ll be able to save myself from the hassle and headache (not to mention panic!) of finding a job for after graduation.

Get Rolling
There are lots of handy little ways to break up your job-search and preparation so that you can stay on top of things between work, study, and sleep, while still staying sane.

I’ve set up a dry-erase board on my shelf at home with important timelines and check lists—that way I know when I should be hearing back from a potential employer, or even just to remind me to send a thank-you note.

Carve out that time in a way that works for you, and most importantly, get rolling! The tricky part is remembering to enjoy the last month of senior year, and the wonderful remaining days as a Puget Sound undergrad.”

Want help getting your job or internship rolling? CES can help! (We’re open throughout the summer, too!)

Photo: Sue Dahlin
© 2012 Career and Employment Services, University of Puget Sound