By Liz Mosher ’10, CES Peer Advisor

You know that phrase “don’t limit yourself?” Until recently, I’ve never truly taken that to heart.

I haven’t had any phone calls yet and I am a little worried that I’ve exhausted a lot of the feasible employment options—that’s why I’ve decided to think outside the city limits of Seattle.

Throughout this job search I feel that I have been open to various fields of employment, including public relations, marketing, non-profit work, advertising, administrative support, and community relations. What I didn’t realize is how much I was restricting myself geographically.

Just when that thought came to mind, I received an e-mail from my former employer/close family friend from Denver; it’s funny how that happens. She told me about a fabulous position that she thought was right up my alley. Aware of my interests and love for children, she kindly gave me the lead of a position that would allow me to gain professional experience on behalf of an organization dedicated to Children’s health. Even though Denver was not on my radar before, there is no reason why I should rule it out. Besides, aren’t flexibility and adaptability key?

With graduation less than a month away procrastination is no longer an option.

I believe I’m leaving what they call the denial phase right now. Bracing myself for extreme angst in the month of graduation, I’m discovering that I’m actually excited for everything that’s coming next.

As the end of the year approaches, my ability to picture what I want to do ‘tomorrow’ comes more easily. My interest in fields is broadening and so is my consideration for alternative locations. Thus, I’ve decided to embrace this new reality instead of dread it. Rather than falling into freak-out mode, I’m going to keep on hunting…for my job search knows no bounds (sorry, I couldn’t resist).

This month, I’m going to apply to as many suitable opportunities as I can…opportunities without geographic boundaries. Meanwhile, it’s time I savor my final month here at good ol’ Puget Sound.

© 2010 Career and Employment Services, University of Puget Sound
Photo: Kris Hay/Sue Dahlin