My First Week of Research

Hello all! My name is Ariana and I’m currently working on a research project in the Biology department. One goal for this summer is to identify types of bacteria that are found near the rhizomes (root-like structures) of a type of marine plant found in Commencement Bay, eelgrass. This past week, I have been isolating and purifying DNA from the sediment surrounding the rhizomes.

Of all the experiences I have had this past week, I can list off the following lessons:

#1. All the things that one learns in the past—all experiences, failures, and “aha!” moments—prepare one for the present.

This was indicated by me realizing on the first day that my (already neat) handwriting had to be even neater. In addition, I had to organize my reagents and workstation accordingly and all of my lab experiences and applicable techniques had to be recalled (3+ years worth of information).

#2. People make mistakes

I made so many mistakes my first few days. However, it was important for me to realize that I couldn’t wallow in my own pity. The mistakes had to be fixed and I needed to keep moving forward. As my own worst critic, it was easy to be really harsh with myself. But the key to survival in this circumstance was grace.

#3. Failure is inevitable

Sad, but true. Scientists and human beings alike want everything to work out perfectly (I’m no different). After learning that one of my experiments didn’t work out the way that I had hoped, I felt really sad and disappointed. However, I realized a few things. Of many people, I had the opportunity to be funded. I’m here not because of my grades, but because science is my passion. There are a lot of students that get A’s in their classes, get everything correct in lab, yet when it comes to the real world, they get frustrated when experiments don’t work out. On the other hand, there are others, like me, that don’t get the best grades, yet have the heart and the passion, the will and the adventure to “…go where no human has gone before!” (O.k. Not exactly that. But the drive and passion definitely helps in the rough times.)

My point is that despite failure, if you’re doing what you love to do and are doing it with all your heart, you’ll discover things (Gause finding out about the Competitive Exclusion Principle via paramecium, Darwin formulating the concept of evolution, and Alexander Fleming and his penicillin discovery), and succeed eventually.

One of the professors that I am working with has a sign in his lab that reads something like, “Nature tends to resist investigation.” That statement is absolutely valid and can be disheartingly true, yet I believe if a person’s perseverance is stronger and longer lasting than nature resisting investigation, success is sure to follow.

#4. No man is an island

Growing up I have heard this multiple times. However, it was pertinent this past week. I had to ask a LOT of questions, collaborate, and “eat the meat and spit out the bones.”

A lot of times in lab, I’m alone carrying out my experiments and it can get lonely.

However, the other day I discovered this guy. It’s officially (scientifically) called an Eppendorf tube. So, after thinking, “What can I name this little guy?” and dismissing the name “Copernicus” I decided on lovingly nicknaming him “Eppy.” So…maybe not all alone?

In case you’re curious, these are what real Eppendorf tubes look like:

Early on in life, and coming from a background of home schooling, I had to be driven and self-motivated. I was responsible for completing my work on my own, usually did homework by myself, and edited my own papers. However, since entering college, I’ve learned that professors, colleagues, and fellow students all assist in one’s learning and growing process. All challenge a person and help equip a person to formulate ideas, solidify an identity, and develop skills and tools needed to live life. Also, I learned the importance of networking, asking questions, going to office hours, and getting multiple points of views before coming to a conclusion or making a decision.

#5. You are where you are for a reason

Living life takes perseverance and courage. You may not feel qualified to be where you are or you may feel overqualified. Wherever you are at (as I’ve learned), it’s only temporary. There’s something greater out there. Despite isolation, you are never truly alone (Don’t lie to yourself!). There are always other people that are in the same boat as you.

Thus, my challenge would be to/is: keep moving forward even if you can’t see the larger picture. Set goals and go by small steps at a time. Don’t wait until you think you have it all together before beginning your journey.

A couple of examples come from two of my favorite movies. In one of my favorite movies, The Lord of the Rings, Frodo (main character) didn’t have it all together, but in the end, he was selfless and saved not only his hometown, but also all of Middle Earth.

In the Disney version of Mulan, she didn’t know what would happen if she impersonated a male in the Chinese army, but her boldness and selflessness kept the Huns from invading China.

Finally, stand by your convictions and stick to your guns. Be honest in your dealings. It can be tempting to falsify information or over/under report findings, but remember why you’re doing what you’re doing. Not because of money, but because of an insatiable curiosity about some aspect of life.

This entry was posted in 2013-14, Ariana Lim '14 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.