Lately

I haven’t posted in a while, mostly because I’ve fallen into a bit of a routine, which is good. Plus, I’ve adjusted a whole bunch and am significantly happier. I wake up, go to school, eat lunch, attempt to do homework, come home, eat dinner, go run an errand or something or go chill at Ilam. Last weekend was really nice for the most part. I went with the boys to Lyttelton’s winter street party, which had really good food and some vendors and a stage. There’s a lot of empty lots in their downtown so they decided to work with what they got a put some pretty impressive light displays where the buildings used to be. It was cute.
We asked around for a place to camp that night and ended up taking the ferry across the bay and set up our tents on some nature reserve. It was dark when we got there so I was really paranoid we were going to wake up in someone’s backyard or something, but the house that was right next to us was really messed up from the earthquake. There was an earthquake that night which was kind of awesome since we were lying right on the ground. We attempted to climb Mt. Herbert, which would have been a sweet view from the top. The part of the hike we were able to do was through sheep (I just can’t get over how cute they are) and cow fields, with really nice mountains and views of the harbor. Unfortunately, it was really snowy and windy and our day was not about to end anytime soon so we had to turn around. Probably my favorite weekend yet.
The water around that area is this crazy beautiful turquoise color:

I also made a visit to the Dread Shed.

Here’s a sneak peak (back of my head obviously).

So in the next two weeks I’ve got a lot of work to do, and hopefully will be busy with that and ultimate. But the weekend after next is when we leave for none other than Rarotonga…

Should be a good time. I think I’m going to spend a few days in Auckland after that trip as well, seeing as our spring break is two weeks long.

In the meantime, I’m still in love with all of the cookies here, I’ve been drinking a lot of tea, riding the bus is like second nature, I am slowly learning the Kiwi virtue of patience, I have the travel and hiking bug like none other, and I can’t believe I’m going to have to do some actual homework very very soon.

Cheers!

This entry was posted in Caitlin Jost '13, New Zealand. Bookmark the permalink.