The Calm Before The Storm

I feel like I should do a blog before leaving for Scotland on the 8th (5 days!) just to recap all of the work that it actually takes to study abroad before departure… I’m entirely sure that the paperwork will all be worth it, but there was a lot of paperwork and preparation required before I get to galavant across the United Kingdom. I’m also going to share a little bit more about me and the program that I’m going to be participating in. Here we go…

From http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipohkia/2634929528.

I will be directly enrolling at University of Edinburgh (check out the picture above… it looks pretty fantastic!) This means that I will be attending their classes, eating their food, paying their tuition, and living in their residence halls. I am actually living in a flat (similar to Puget Sound’s Trimble Hall, I think) and will be cooking my own food, but this type of direct enroll program is unique in that I will be integrated directly with University of Edinburgh students (all 25,000 of them… 10x the size of Puget Sound!). My semester lasts from January 11 – May 28, with a 1-month Spring Break during April; I hope to spend this time traveling around the rest of Europe! I’m taking three classes: Chemistry 3 (I’m a Biochemistry major and this will count toward my major; another benefit of direct enroll programs), Art History, and “Tropical Ecosystems and Lost Civilizations”. I am also looking forward to small trips around the UK both on my own, and organized by Edinburgh’s International Student Center. There’s a lot to be excited about… and my adventure starts this Friday!

Since the initial Study Abroad application for Puget Sound was due on September 15th, I have had to fill out a separate Edinburgh application and a [very complicated] UK visa application, meet with a travel agent and buy a plane ticket, budget my money properly, request insurance and an international ID card, attend an orientation meeting, and more. Needless to say, there has been a lot of logistical prep work! I don’t say this to discourage any of you from also studying abroad, because I am certain that it will all be worth it. I just want to make sure everyone knows about the extensive prep work involved in going to another country for 5 months.

This week, I will be packing packing packing (2 carry-ons + 1 checked bag…) and doing some last minute errands before I leave. My next entry will probably be from Scotland! I look forward to sharing my adventures with all of you and inspiring you to study abroad as well!

This entry was posted in Alayna Schoblaske '10, Scotland and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.