This is an announcement from Technology Services (TS). Please see details below.
Phone Service: Information regarding recent Caller ID Spoofing/Scam Phone Calls
Tuesday September 22, 2020
Informational Notice: This is an informational alert regarding the phone calls that appear to come from the University (Spoofed Caller ID) and/or Spam phone calls.
We have created a specific web page that details the issues with these calls and how to handle these type of phone calls. We urge all to look at this information as often these phone calls “look” like they are originating from within the University.
We recognize that these types of phone calls are very intrusive and frustrating. Unfortunately these type of calls are very hard if not impossible to eliminate due to the nature of how telephone systems work. We are actively trying to mitigate these issues but the best practice is to learn how to identifying spoofed and/or spam calls and ignore them.
• University of Puget Sound Phone Scam/Caller ID Informational Page –
• Any phone calls that originate from the University will typically only show an extension and name (example: Service Desk 8585)
• If incoming calls have an area code and a University Number (example: ‘12538798585’ or ‘912538798585’), these are probably spoofed and/or spam calls and should not be answered and ignored.
• Technology Services can do very little with these types of calls. Any tickets created regarding these may be closed with links to the Caller ID and Phone Scam web article.
• Please pass this information on to your colleagues and staff!
For more information on Technology Services’ Incident Communication Plan or to view a list of our Critical Systems and definitions, please visit our Service Announcements page on the Puget Sound website.
For support questions please contact the TS Service Desk via phone at 253-879-8585.