Greetings From Greifswald!

14. October 2012

Despite it being mid-October already, or nearly, Greifswald is still gorgeous.  We have days that are cold and gray and rainy, for sure, but they are not unrelenting.  This weekend, I could walk outside in short sleeves, no jacket, no problem.  Did I actually do, that, well, no.  My entire apartment is sick, and that is a lot of sick people!

I am living in what is a lot like a dormitory, except it is subdivided into smaller sections.  Unlike at UPS, no one has access to the entire building, only to their floor and section.  I think it is so much better; rather than feeling like I live with a hundred or so people, I only live with 6 others.  They are all students at the university, here, and most of them are studying science, which is awesome.  They are also all really friendly and nice, and community-oriented.  We eat dinner together, most nights, half of them spend their afternoons playing League of Legends together, and most nights most of us are in the kitchen, playing cards or just chatting.  And drinking beer, of course!

Although most of these activities have diminished somewhat, because of our Erkaltung, the feeling of having a community, a family, has actually increased.  The people who are, on a given day, less sick, take care of those who are more sick.  Usually that entails buying tissues in bulk, and providing a constant supply of tea.  We also all pooled our collections of medicines and herbals, so I’m not entirely sure what I’ve taken, but some of it, at least, is helping!

The worst of it is over, though, so yay, good health!  And I would like to note that sleeping lots and relaxing really does help; this is a remedy I never had time to try during my time at UPS!

Am Markt

It worked. You didn't notice.

Need a book? Take a book. Have a book? Leave a book.

This entry was posted in Kat Schmidt '12, Germany. Bookmark the permalink.