Connemara Craic*

*A very long blog post now ensues.

The first weekend in October marked the date of our IFSA-Butler-funded trip to the Killary Adventure Centre. We Cork students met the bus at 11:30 on Friday morning and headed off toward the northwest, picking up the University of Limerick students along the way.

Our bus ride was about five hours long and delivered us to some of the most beautiful, rugged country I have seen in Ireland. We left behind the trees

Irish highlands: over the fjord

and gently rolling hills to wind and bump our way beneath rocky slopes and across the peat. That peat, or turf, is

A place where the peat has been cut

cut, stacked, and burned in fireplaces around the area. Mountainside farms and stone fences abounded, yet, strangely, none of the sheep were within those fences. Instead, the flocks roamed across open range, giving right of way to nothing, including our bus.

The Adventure Centre sits right beside Ireland’s only fjord, home of multiple salmon and mussel farms, and offers all sorts of activities, from kayaking to rock climbing to zip-lining to laser tag. We arrived too late in the day to partake of any such fun on Friday. Instead, we were greeted with a hot meal, during which we met IFSA students studying at institutes around the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. After dinner, we all participated in an Adventure Centre-sponsored game of trivia (well…er…stimulated by Bulmer’s and Heineken, I might add).

Saturday was fun day! I started my day off with a bit of kayaking on the fjord, although figuring out how to get into a wet suit – and watching other

people do the same – was half the joy. Our instructors had us race a couple of times before leading us around the point for some kayak games. First, we had to scoot forward so that we were sitting on the kayak logos (these were sit-on-top kayaks, rather than trusty whitewater vehicles). Our

Stylin'! Sorry, I don't have any kayak pics, so...

legs were dangling off the sides into the water, and the rears of the kayaks were tipped up. We were to paddle around and tip others’ kayaks in an attempt to dump them in the water. If we appeared a bit too reluctant to get in the middle of the fray, the instructors patrolling on the outside came up to send us to a watery doom. I succeeded in falling in without anybody’s help at all, thank you very much! The next game was rock-paper-scissors. If you lost, you had to stand up and play somebody else. If you lost twice in a row, you had to jump in the fjord. So, long story short, we were all a bit soggy when we made it back to shore.

We next got to jump off of a platform into the fjord. It was about a twenty foot drop, and I got up to the edge, started to jump, and ended up thinking about how cold the water was, instead. I had to back off and let a few others go before I, in my turn, took the plunge. We swam around and all had a second go at it before making our way to the base of the gorge. The swim had the pleasant effect of making me go numb, so I didn’t realize just how cold I was. It also meant that, as we started pulling ourselves up the waterfalls in the gorge, courtesy of the ropes laid out for us, I couldn’t tell what I was walking on. We emerged dripping, icy, and muddy but laughing at the end and made a mad dash for the hot showers.

After lunch, I took part in the high ropes/zip-line course. First, our instructor tied four of us onto ropes, and we proceeded, one by one, to climb

How's the weather down there? We are about to fall off, in case you were wondering. I have some lovely midair tango shots, since, when we fell, I sort of swung around and ended up tangled up in another girl's rope. Awkward moments...

a twenty-foot pole with a foot-wide platform on top. The goal was to get all four of us up, and each of the three groups of four succeeded! We all huddled up there, teetering at the top, and, as instructed, linked arms, leaned back a bit, linked elbows, leaned back a bit more, linked hands, and fell off to dangle in mid-air, counter-weighted by four of the people remaining on the ground. Each group had a chance to try the formation twice before we repelled back to earth.

The zip-line was much more straightforward. We went in pairs, hauling the harnesses up the line to the top

A bit of air. I'm the one on the right.

tower, where we were hooked in. We jumped off the ledge and went whizzing over the boggy terrain to the end of the course, where we repelled to the ground.

We enjoyed a well-earned dinner. I have to say, the entertainment value went up when the servers brought out one of the starter courses: chicken pate. The poor, unfortunate souls who had signed up for it, rather than the hummus, got quite a surprise! The Irish stew and cheese cake were sublime, particularly since they contained no chicken livers!

The dance started at about 9:30 that evening and went on long into the wee hours of the morning. I was in bed by about 2:00 a.m., and, boy, did I crash! I don’t recall hearing either the music or the dancing going on over my head after that point.

We had time for one more activity on Sunday morning, but, since all of my preferred offerings filled up too quickly, I chose to go for a walk instead,

Never did see any road kill...

heading first down the road toward the mouth of the fjord and then back up it until I found the family trail I had been directed too. The trail meandered toward the nearby sheep farms and beyond, along the coast. I didn’t make it very far before I had to turn around and head back for lunch and to catch the bus back to Cork.

As I’m sure you can imagine, it was a quiet ride home, with all of us sleeping as the bus left the beautiful highlands behind and headed on toward more familiar territory. All in all, it was a fantastic weekend, and I would love to do it all over again. It was a prime opportunity to get to know new people, explore rugged and unfamiliar country, and just have some good old Irish craic!

Of course, I could have come back looking like this if I had done the turf challenge. Any questions about what they did?

This entry was posted in Katrina Eller '14, Ireland and Italy. Bookmark the permalink.