Some Scottish Scenery

It’s been a great week in Edinburgh, and I feel like I am really starting to get comfortable with this city and my daily routine. I switched my classes around a little bit, so I’m now in a 100-level Celtic Civilisations class, a 200-level Art History class, and a 300-level Chemistry class. I think it will make for a nice balance between school work and travel/sight-seeing! I’m also getting used to the different academic structure. I went to my first tutorial, which is when a small group of students plus a faculty member meets to discuss the material presented in lecture (because lectures are so huge, there is no discussion that occurs within them). I have also accepted the fact that there are only 2 or 3 assignments per semester: usually a presentation, an essay, and the final. Classes will be over on March 26th, although some of my courses are over as soon as March 15th. The rest of the time is spent preparing for the final, since it so so much of your grade (usually at least 60%… it is 100% of my Chemistry grade). The pressure to do well is high!

My Puget Sound professors have certainly prepared me well, though. Most of my Chemistry course is review material right now (electrochemistry from CHEM 230 and phase diagrams/interactions from CHEM 340).

After finishing class and grocery shopping at Tesco today, I went exploring around a park called The Meadows. It’s kind of like Central Park (although not nearly as big or ornate) because it is a large green space in the middle of urban Edinburgh. I got some really neat pictures:

This is Arthur's Seat looming over the whole city. It's beautiful!

I was surprised to find so much graffiti, but it was fun to photograph all the colors!

I wrapped my school day up with some time spent in the HUGE library. The 5th floor study room has surround windows with a gorgeous view of Edinburgh and beyond. Check it out:

I don’t have classes on Friday, so I am taking the train to a small city just north of Edinburgh where I hope to take some pictures of the Forth Rail Bridge. My mom is a civil engineer, so I have always been interested in cool bridges! Then, my friends and I are going on a bus tour to see some lesser-known sights in Edinburgh. We might do some shopping afterwards, too… My Keen shoes and American Apparel hoodie might fight right in at Puget Sound, but they are far too casual for Europe. Finally, on Saturday, I am going to St. Andrews with the International Student Center. I’m REALLY excited about that trip!! I’ve heard it’s beautiful, and my dad is a big golf fanatic… Maybe I’ll find some tees or golf balls for him there!

I hope you are all enjoying my blog. Of course, if you are considering studying abroad in Scotland, the UK, or anywhere, please feel free to e-mail me at aschoblaske@pugetsound.edu. I’d love to answer your questions!

This entry was posted in Alayna Schoblaske '10, Scotland and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.