Events/Exhibits Fall 2021-22
- October 15, 2021 – January 14, 2022: Science Stories: A Collaboration with Book Artists and Scientists. Co-curated by Lucia Harrison, Tacoma artist and Professor Emeritus from Evergreen College, Jane Carlin, Collins Library Director and Peter Wimberger, Professor of Biology and Director of the Slater Museum, this exhibit pairs artists and scientists in a collaboration. Check out the Science Stories web site that provides access to images and artists and scientists videos.
- Thursday, November 18, 2021: Science Stories: A Collaboration with Book Artists and Scientists. Open House: Tours and Meet the Artists Event, Collins Memorial Library, University of Puget Sound (masks required), Noon to 2:30pm. (Check out the Science Stories web site that provides access to images and artists and scientists videos.)
– Deborah Greenwood, Artist
– Dorothy McCuistion, Artist
– Jan Ward, Artist
– Lucia Harrison, Artist and Co-Curator
- February 21 – April 22, 2022: Wildlife: The Guild of Book Workers, Collins Memorial Library, University of Puget Sound (masks required) – Tacoma WA.
The Guild of Book Workers was founded in 1906 to “establish and maintain a feeling of kinship and mutual interest among workers in the several hand book crafts.” Over 100 years later, the Guild is still vital, with regular traveling exhibitions, a journal, ten regional Chapters, and an annual Standards of Excellence seminar. Guild membership exceeds 800 and has expanded internationally. The organization is still run by volunteers. GBW is incorporated as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in New York.
This exhibition will feature approximately 50 works by Guild members. The exhibition will open in the summer of 2021 and travel from five to seven venues across the country, closing in the fall of 2022. Works will include fine and edition bindings, artist’s books, broadsides (letterpress printing, calligraphy, and decorative papermaking) and historical binding models. The number of framed wall pieces will make up a very small subset of the entries. Both the bindings and framed works to be exhibited will be selected by a jury to ensure that they are of excellent quality. Previous Guild exhibitions can be viewed online at https://guildofbookworkers.org/galleries.
This entry was posted in Events
. Bookmark the permalink