The Collins Library is providing limited local services for students and faculty who can visit the Library. Below is a series of FAQs that provide information on requesting books, using our space, and other details of local service.
- Is the library open?
Collins Memorial Library is not currently open for full library services in-person. However, the reading room is open, and study spaces can be used by current University of Puget Sound students using our reservation system. Current hours of operation can be found on our website.
- The library is also supporting a wide array of online services and resources.
- How do I make a seat reservation to study in the library?
Students can reserve space in our reading room via our seat reservation system.
- Can I book a group space in the library?
No, in order to keep users socially distanced the library does not have group study spaces available at this time.
- Do I need a reservation to print?
No, you don’t need a reservation to enter the building to use the printers located in the library’s reading rooms. Other questions related to printing on campus are best addressed by Technology Services.
- Are the stacks open?
No, the stacks at the library are currently closed for browsing, but University of Puget Sound users can place holds on books via Primo.
- Can I request a book from the library? How long does it take?
Yes, you can place holds on books via their records in Primo by clicking the Request Collins copy for Tacoma pickup link. Requests take 2-3 days to be fulfilled.
- Users will be notified by email when the requested book becomes available for pickup in the library lobby. You may pick up your books at any time when the library is open.
- Summit items from the Orbis Cascade Alliance can be requested and that the turnaround time is 7-10 days to take into account the limited hours which most libraries are operating, shipping time as well as quarantine time.
- Can I request scans of printed materials?
Yes, students may request that portions of print books be scanned. When signed in to Primo, a link will appear in the Primo record that alerts users to this service.
- Can alumni and visitors use the library?
The library is not currently open to alumni or the public at this time.
- How can I return books?
Books can be returned any time through the exterior book drop or mailed back. Once items are checked in any overdue fees will be waived.