New Year, New Resolutions

By Jenni Chadick, Assistant Director of Residence Life

Ah, a new year has begun again. With any new year, many of us make resolutions – resolutions to eat better, get exercise, sleep more, laugh more, study harder, find our inner zen, etc. As I was catching up on my favorite higher ed blogs this winter break, I stumbled upon the idea of a one word resolution. As someone who generally does not make resolutions (because I’m always trying to eat better, exercise more, sleep more, etc.) this idea really struck me. One word is easy to remember, and can be powerful. And one word can sum up a year, just as much as set the tone.

The idea of a one word resolution is less resolution and more intention. What do you hope to look back on 2014 and remember? Becca Obergefell (whose blog introduced me to this concept) has a beautiful post on her one word: Joy.  In her post, she recounts the moments of joy from 2013, moments that she captured in her memory and wrote down in a joy jar. What a beautiful idea! Through the moments that brought her joy in 2013, she looks toward 2014 with a sense of gratitude and fullness. What a juxtaposition to the filling of “less-than” and defeat that many of us have facing yet another year trying to meet ambiguous goals.

The beauty of the one word resolution is its focus on who you want to be, rather than what you want to do. What you do to get there will depend on the day, the people around you, the life happening around you. One of my favorite sessions I lead with students is a core values exercise, which asks students to narrow down from a long list of values – love, faith, courage, family, etc. I think there is parity in this exercise for a one-word resolution. A core value is something that guides your everyday actions,  but it is not a prescription. Oftentimes our goals, our values, our resolutions can be in competition with one another (Spend time with friends or go on that run? Stay true to my faith or lose an important connection to a family member?). There are not right or easy roads in these conflicts, but the practice and intent of keeping one concept at the forefront of a year helps exercise that muscle. Only with practice do we become better able to live a life congruent, on a daily basis, to our values.

Not only do I have a one word resolution for 2014 for myself personally, I think this is a great idea for a team to employ. Think of it as the “next step” of stop-start-continue. Where do we, as a team, want to be at the end of another year? As a department, what will drive us forward, and push us to reaching new heights? For Residence Life, I think our one word could easily be many things: progress, growth, sustainability, passion. Coming off the heels of an all-day retreat there is one word though that rises to the forefront: Communicate. Communication between team members, communicating what we are to our residents, how we communicate the value of a residential experience, how we celebrate one another and communicate where we need to grow. This blog is just one element of this idea of communication. Residence Life has undergone some significant changes in the past year and half, and we are only beginning to recognize how important it is to communicate these changes (and what they mean) to all our constituents – from parents to alumni.

What is your one-word resolution for 2014?

This entry was posted in Staff and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to New Year, New Resolutions

1. Marie says:

Like this post a lot. I have been choosing a word to focus on for an entire year for many years. Some of mine from the past are: benevolent, endurance, wisdom, moments. My word for this year is: release
    I have found that focusing my intention on a single word does narrow my vision while expanding my experience. I am held accountable to my commitment to this word which causes daily life to unfold with an uncanny emphasis on the word.

2. If you know your hair loss is likely to be permanent then there are some very stylish and flattering wigs available today, which look
    so realistic no one would be able to tell the difference.
    It is often mixed with other oils to keep cost
    down but still provide benefits. Alopecia areata
    is an inflammatory condition which can make hair come out in patches or
    clumps.

Take a look at my web page: skin Care products for oily skin

3. Still, Nh, where Bartlet supported mainly because
    Governor a week or two words and phrases, among the solely a
    pair of advises (the second simply being the nation’s neighbor Vermont) in which
    a gubernatorial term should be only 2 years.

That procuring spot is certainly consumer’s heaven with retail outlets standing up in the course of bouquets in addition to lane performing artists.
    everybody would definitely be a lean person, you can take it easy.

My website :: bodycon cheap party dresses for juniors

4. Thus, when the HCG diet info was released today, I once more sharpened
    my pencil to take notes. The Homeopathic HCG drops are
    diluted and are working with a distinct principle from the
    other procedures. Not only are you probably consuming more calories in that one meal than you would’ve if you’ve just eaten small,
    healthy meals throughout the day, but you’ve slowed down your metabolism
    in the process, and turned yourself into a grouch.

My site – hcg weight loss melbourne

5. bail bond says:

The case is under review from the Riverside County District Attorney’s office.
    He adde ‘Having exposure to a support method is critical to offenders’ progress toward rehabilitation. Interestingly, the agent
    is planning to pledge to pay the full value of the bond in case your loved one will not appear
    inside court for virtually any reason.

6. Hi there very cool site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Wonderful ..
    I will bookmark your website and take the feeds also?

I am satisfied to find a lot of useful info right here in the post,
    we’d like work out extra techniques in this regard, thank
    you for sharing. . . . . .