Start. Stop. Continue.

By Tyler Pau, Assistant Director of Residence Life

In my time in higher education, I have had the privilege to work with a number of high caliber teams, both student staff and professional.  These teams challenged and supported each other professionally, bonded personally, provided excellent service, and regularly checked their bearings as a unit.  Through time, I have seen how important the last part of that equation is to improvement.  Timely and intentional efforts for teams to orient themselves are vital to their success.  A former supervisor introduced me to the feedback grid and I have used it as an effective way of checking how teams are doing and how they can improve.

In the feedback grid, people are reminded about the teams identity, mission, or goals and then asked what they need to start doing, stop doing, do more of, do less of, and continue doing to achieve success.  Here are the most brief guides to these questions.

Start doing:  What do we need to begin in order to be successful?  What haven’t we done yet?  What haven’t we tried?

Do more:  What are we already doing now that we need to do bigger/better/more often?

Stop doing: What are we doing now that is impeding our success?  What is keeping us from being as successful as we can be?

Do less:  What are we doing that we need to monitor and limit?

Continue doing:  What are we doing now that works and we need to keep doing to be successful?

As helpful as an exercise like this grid can be for a team and their development, it is also extremely beneficial to individuals.  It is a classic case of “what’s good for the gaggle is good for the goose”, right?   Okay, maybe that isn’t a saying but trust me, it is good for people to do this for themselves.  So, this being the close of one semester, followed by a long winter break that allows for a lot of reflection and projection, I would encourage you to do a feedback grid for yourself.

To obtain better grades, maybe you need to continue studying in groups with your peers because that works best for you.  Perhaps you need to start creating a schedule to manage your time better and make sure you begin and submit your assignments on time.

A successful varsity athlete may need to do less late nights so you can make it to practice on time and well rested.  Another idea could be to commit more time to treatment with the athletic trainers to rehabilitate or prevent reoccurring injuries.

The effective student leader might need to continue reaching out to their constituents and seeing how they can better serve and represent them.  Another could be spending more time with other leaders across campus in various roles to seek out opportunities to collaborate.

Whatever the case may be, determining where you have come from and where you are headed is paramount to your progress.  Sober review of what you have been doing, how that has worked, and what you can do to continue your improvement is good for each of us.  Anthony Burgess says “It is always good to remember where you come from and celebrate it.  To remember where you come from is part of where you’re going.”  Reflect on how this past semester has gone.  Celebrate making it through.  Consider ways that you can grow and improve.

Good luck on finals, stay warm, and have a great winter break.

This entry was posted in 2013, Staff and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Start. Stop. Continue.

1. Wow! In the end I got a web site from where I can truly take
    helpful data concerning my study and knowledge.

2. Excellent way of telling, and pleasant article to obtain facts regarding my presentation subject, which i am going to
    present in institution of higher education.

Take a look at my site :: edu-626-week-4-assignment-critical-thinking-questions

3. Arden Hynds says:

For example, if you just type “Free Anonymous VPN” into Google, you’re just looking for trouble. There are lots of proxy sites in existence that come harmful sites that will record all the information you set in, such as logins and passwords, and then suggest by using them. One of the best ways to find out about legitimacy of a paid survey site, is to check with the BBB.

4. congratz for ur amazing topic and blog organisation

5. iher says:

There are discount coupons available that can take a percentage off the eventual fee you will
    be required to spend or even give you a free tire.
    Registry cleaners are programs which scan through your PC and fix any of the errors which
    can occur inside the registry database – a central storage facility
    for all the files and settings which Windows uses to run. It covers the cost of reviewing your loan application and charged by the lender who underwrites your mortgage.

6. Wallace says:

A� Our inner beings never see weakness or negative things.

You have probably heard of the great Law of Attraction before and how you attract into your life, people,
    circumstances and situations in proportion to the thoughts you
    entertain within your mind. What we are actually doing is projecting anger from our own energy source onto Karen reinforcing
    her emotional state.

7. Rattling instructive and superb bodily structure of subject matter, now that’s user pleasant (:.

8. I went over this site and I conceive you have a lot of fantastic information, saved to favorites (:.

9. Gify says:

Thanks for sharing excellent informations. Your website is so cool. I’m impressed by the details that you have on this website. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found simply the information I already searched everywhere and simply couldn’t come across. What an ideal website.

10. Great – I should definitely pronounce, impressed with your web site. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs as well as related info ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it in the least. Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or something, web site theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate. Excellent task..

11. Keep working ,splendid job!

12. I believe this web site has got very superb written content material content.

13. As a Newbie, I am constantly browsing online for articles that can benefit me. Thank you

14. I like your post and all that you impart to us is present and exceptionally useful.

15. GLUTAMINIAN says:

That is the suitable weblog for anyone who desires to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost laborious to argue with you (not that I truly would want…HaHa). You undoubtedly put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, just nice!

16. What i do not realize is actually how you are not really much more well-liked than you may be right now. You’re very intelligent. You realize therefore considerably relating to this subject, made me personally consider it from so many varied angles. Its like women and men aren’t fascinated unless it is one thing to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs nice. Always maintain it up!

17. Real informative and excellent bodily structure of content material, now that’s user genial (:.

18. Can I simply say what a aid to search out somebody who really knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know easy methods to convey an issue to gentle and make it important. More folks need to read this and perceive this facet of the story. I cant consider youre not more fashionable since you undoubtedly have the gift.

19. Hey, you used to write magnificent, but the last several posts have been kinda boringK I miss your super writings. Past few posts are just a little bit out of track! come on!

20. This web page can be a stroll-via for the entire information you needed about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse right here, and you’ll definitely uncover it.

21. BOUCLE says:

I saw a lot of website but I believe this one holds something special in it in it

22. Hi, just required you to know I he added your site to my Google bookmarks due to your layout. But seriously, I believe your internet site has 1 in the freshest theme I??ve came across. It extremely helps make reading your blog significantly easier.