From Sketchbook to Blog: Random Character Generators!

If you haven’t already been able to tell from many of the topics of my blog posts, I like art. A lot. I’m constantly sketching and doodling, everywhere on everything (just paper, don’t worry). I thought I might start sharing some of my little pieces from the week and such, just so you guys can get an idea of what I do in my free time.

My art usually has to do with whatever is particularly captivating to me at the time. Be it video game characters, my own mindless ramblings, environments, clothing, my suitemates… sometimes dragons. Just dragons.

So here’s what I’ve been playing around with recently: random character generators!

An RCG is a list of various character attributes that each correspond to a different number on a different dice. For example, a D20 (10 sided dice) might have a list of potential archetypes, such as Hero, Rebel, Warrior, Destroyer, Buffoon. Next, a D12 would have a list of genres or eras to pick from, i.e. Gothic, Medieval, Cyberpunk, Civil War, Western. Then there would be a D8 with items for your character to hold, like a hamburger, a magic amulet, a rolled up newspaper, a bow and arrow, or a shrunken head! And finally, a simple D6 would determine the gender of your character–even for female, odd for male.

I used an RCG similar to the one I described and ended up landing these characteristics: A female Seeker in the Gothic Era who carries a Battle Axe! After some internal debate about the definition of “Seeker“, I came up with this little lady! She’s yet to receive a name.

(Not gonna lie, I’m quite proud [and jealous] of that battle axe)

The point of RCGs is to boost your imagination and creativity, allowing you to get out of a art block you might be stuck in. If you sit down with the drive to create but just can’t think of WHAT to create, use an RCG! There’s tons of versions all over the internet, and you can even create your own!

This entry was posted in Maddie Peckenpaugh '16 and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to From Sketchbook to Blog: Random Character Generators!