Wanderlust Hits Again

Bremen CathedralI immediately started planning for a long weekend in Bremen right after my 10-day Fall Break trip. I usually don’t like to cram trip after trip into my schedule but tickets are always cheaper when you buy them in advance. I have a really good friend in Bremen, who is currently studying there. His cousin and I are really good friends as well, and so the three of us devised a plan to meet up sometime in November. We were already planning to spend New Year’s together, but seeing that I’m conveniently located in Northern Germany, we decided that November would be the best month to plan a min-reunion. A good friend of mine (she’s also a fellow ETA in Berlin) met up with the three of us a day later.

The picture above is of the Bremen Cathedral (dedicated to St. Peter).

Die Bremer StadtmusikantenI’ve never been to Bremen before but had heard wonderful things about the city. Most Americans will think of the fairytale, Town Musicians of Bremen, when the city is mentioned. I was surprised to find out that Bremen is a prominent port city located on the Weser River. For beer lovers out there: Beck’s headquarters are located in Bremen. Bremen is also one of three city-states in Germany, which means that Bremen is simultaneously a city and a state. The other two are Berlin and Hamburg.

The most delightful thing about the city is that they really take advantage of its fairytale fame. There were several different statues of the four animal musicians throughout the city. The picture on the left shows my favorite statue rendition of the fairytale because the characters are literally popping out of a wall. Many people didn’t notice it but I was lucky enough to do a double-take as we paused at one point. I know it’s really hard to make out the details of the picture but if you look at the rooster, you’ll notice that it’s actually a man with a rooster hat on. I did not notice this detail when I took the picture.

The first glimpse I had of the city was actually at night. I arrived during dinner time (we had dinner at a delicious West African restaurant!). Below is a picture of the city hall taken on the night of my arrival.

Das Bremer Rathaus

This entry was posted in Jill Nguyen '10, Fulbright to Germany and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.