Fair Use/Fair Dealing Week is an annual celebration held the last week of February. Fair Use/Fair Dealing Week 2016 will take place from Monday, February 22, through Friday, February 26. It celebrates the important doctrines of fair use in the United States and fair dealing in Canada and other jurisdictions.
Fair use and fair dealing are essential limitations and exceptions to copyright, allowing the use of copyrighted materials without permission from the copyright holder under certain circumstances. Fair use and fair dealing are flexible doctrines, allowing copyright to adapt to new technologies. These doctrines facilitate balance in copyright law, promoting further progress and accommodating freedom of speech and expression.
While fair use and fair dealing is employed on a daily basis by students, faculty, librarians, journalists, and all users of copyrighted material, Fair Use/Fair Dealing Week is a time to promote and discuss the opportunities presented, celebrate successful stories and explain the doctrine. See below for more information.
Info on Fair Use Week
Fair Use News
- Hong, Emily. “What Beyoncé and Justin Bieber Taught Me About Fair Use.” Slate.com. February 16, 2016.
- McSherry, Corynne. “Fair Use Economics: How Fair Use Makes Innovation Possible and Profitable.” Electronic Frontier Foundation. February 16, 2016.
- Nostalgia Critic. “Where’s The Fair Use?” Channel Awesome, YouTube.com. February 16, 2016.
- Postrel, Virginia. “Pictures Deserve ‘Fair Use’ Protection, Too.” Bloomberg View. February 16, 2016.
Canadian Fair Dealing News
- Geist, Michael. “The TPP is Locking Canada into Restrictive Digital Lock Rules.” Rabble.ca, January 6, 2016.
- Menzies, Heather. “The Copyright Act Needs to be Edited – For Writers’ Survival.” The Globe and Mail, January 14, 2016.
- Parker, Tara. “Illegal Graffiti Capable of Copyright Protection.” Lawyer’s Weekly, January 22, 2016.
Fair Use Week Events
- 2/23/16, 12pm EST. Panel Discussion: Fair use in scholarly journal and book publishing.
- 2/25/16, 2pm EST. Webinar: The Fair Use Factors: History and Application.
Fair Use Resources & Background
- “Fair Use: Code of Best Practices for Fair Use in the Visual Arts.” College Art Association. . February 18, 2016.
- “Fair Use Fundamentals Infographic”
- “Copyright and Fair Use.” Stanford University Libraries.
- “Fair Use.” Center for Media and Social Impact.
- “Thinking through Fair Use.” University of Minnesota Libraries.
- “Fair Use Index.“ U.S. Copyright Office.