Camping!

In June, a few friends and I decided to go camping. After many website visits and going to the school’s Expeditionary to find out where we should go, we finally chose to go to Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge near Sequim, WA. It is on the tip of the Olympic penninsula and has a spit (a narrow point of land projecting into the sea).

We arrived in two groups, I was part of the first group with the two guys on the trip, and then the two other girls came around 10 pm due to work schedules. Most of us haven’t gone camping in a long time, so we weren’t exactly super prepared. For example: All of the food, games, and the larger tent were with the 10 pm group.

After the three of us chose and settled at a nice campsite covered by trees and not too close to others, we decided to explore. We found a look out point where we ended up watching the sunset on our final night at the park. We also looked around a trail and found caterpillars and heard possibly a giant raven screeching at other ravens or crows.

After walking around, we were hungry and realized the food was with the second group…who was coming at 10 pm. So being the resourceful campers we are, we hopped into the car and drove into Sequim where we had a giant dinner at IHOP. Yes, camping and IHOP.

The next day after being woken up bright and early by all 1 million crows that inhabited the trees above us, we made sandwiches and set out for the 11 mile back and forth Dungeness Spit.

The trail to the beach

The trail to the beach

Even though walking by the water, trying to get closer and closer to the lighthouse was fun, it was hard work. The sand was loose and rocky. My lanky ankles had to use all of their might to keep me going, but it was all worth it. It was worth it because:

1. It was absolutely beautiful. There was awesome drift wood, the water was completely blue, the sky was clear, and the lighthouse was our majestic destination.

2. I can say that I walked the whole spit.

3. It is an experience that my friends and I will share forever.

IMG_6538IMG_6541

One of the dead crabs we found on the beach

We found a prickly pear arm?

We found a prickly pear arm?

The lighthouse

The lighthouse

We ended up at the lighthouse after a tiring walk and it was almost like walking into a fantasy land. After walking on unstable rocks for an hour, walking into a very green courtyard with yellow flowers was surreal.

The lighthouse

The lighthouse

My friends Lexi Pearce, '15, and Jordan Dilley, '14, and I enjoying the sun

My friends Lexi Pearce, ’15, and Jordan Dilley, ’14, and I enjoying the sun

After a long day, we went back to our campsite and ate sausages around a camp fire and decided to go to the look out point we had visited the day before and watched the sunset. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen, I didn’t even need to edit the photos I had taken.

Me, Lexi, Nolan Ellis, '14, Nathan Smith-Tripp, '14, and Jordan

Me, Lexi, Nolan Ellis, ’14, Nathan Smith-Tripp, ’14, and Jordan

After a beautiful sunset and a night of games and s’mores we went to our tents and slept until we were woken up at 4 by some light rain. Over all, Dungeness National Park was one of the best experiences of my life. I recommend going for sure, but maybe not doing the whole spit unless you have awesome stamina!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.