As William James said: “The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another”

What ever you do: DON'T STRESS OUT! One of the many nights where I did not live by this mantra.

I’m sitting here in the library, taking a long break from studying for the last 3 or so hours. These past couple of days have been full of re-writing notes for my Psych 101 final, which is kind of sad, seeing as I really enjoyed that class this year. But I have some tips for finals week:

1. Use all four days that are given to you for reading period. Classes end the Wednesday before finals week, giving us two extra days just for studying.

2. That being said, make sure you take breaks. It’s good to study everyday, but still go out at night. Go to dinner, to a friend’s house, or even just for a walk. I haven’t been extremely stressed because I haven’t fully engulfed myself in finals. I think that it’s important to keep your sanity by putting aside even two hours for yourself at night after a day of studying. Also, when you’re hanging out with people, try not to talk about finals. It just makes you stress out even more because then you feel bad for not studying at 11 p.m. 3 days before your first final, and that can make you go insane.

3. Work where you are comfortable. As I type this, my friends are scattered around campus, but that’s okay because I need to focus on Freud and psychological disorders rather than what my friends are up to. I’m not in the SUB with my housemates because it’s too dark for me, so I’m in the library where I know that I’ll get work done.

4. Sleep and eat. After all nighters and stressing right before a class, I’ve found that it’s important to sleep and then jump into studying. You think clearer if you have been well rested and well fed.

Those are my tips so far, but now it’s time to keep writing notes! Tomorrow will be one final paper and final exam down and two more to go and then WINTER BREAK!

Don’t let finals get you down!

This entry was posted in Olivia Perry '15. Bookmark the permalink.