Origins

Greetings Loggers! And loggers-to-be.

My name is Ryan Coleman, and this is one of my bosses at The Cellar, an on-campus student-run pizzeria, silly stringing me in the face.

I’m a Sophomore-Junior in-betweeny working in the Office of Admission this summer. This blog is meant to provide an insider, on-the-ground, down-to-earth, student perspective on campus through media usually dominated by administration and faculty. This blog, and myself, are like a bridge between campus initiatives and campus realities. Between student and staff.

Mostly I make videos for the office of Admission. Some high-up was kind enough to bestow me the title of “Social Media Assistant”. Which sounds like I hang out on Facebook and correct people who say “twit” instead of “tweet” in the present perfect, but that’s not so. That is what I do for off the job funtime and this is hardly my off-the-job-blog. What I really do, is make videos highlighting different elements of Puget Sound that make it a unique learning environment.  Additionally I help out with different social media initiatives to reach out to incoming and current students and build a community, like this blog, and participate in various other social media efforts. Here you look at the projects of the last Social Media Assistants, Serena Berkowitz and Erika Greene.

Some other ways you can get in touch with students and staff like me, and get involved with the Puget Sound community are:

Chalkboard: At the top of the Admission home page is the Chalkboard. The Chalkboard is an open space for students to chalk on questions that will then be answered by student staff. It’s a great way to see what other incoming students are thinking about, and get connected with current students.

Students Speak Out: Alumni share their stories, their post-grad journeys, and offer dynamic views of campus after a hot second away from it.

Virtual Tour: Take a tour of the Puget Sound campus right from the comfort-ability of your own chosen piece of furniture. See pictures and videos of residence halls, academic buildings, the library, the art gallery, and more…

Ask-A-Student email: A way to get your pressing questions answered by students with real experience on campus.  Ask-a-student offers a more private, personal insight to campus than Blackboard.

Social Media: This link takes you to a compendium of Puget Sound’s official social media branches, including Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr.

Serena and Erika’s videos are clearly fabulous, but they only show Serena and Erika’s Puget Sound. I hope to provide an accurate image of my Puget Sound through the videos and this blog.  My Puget Sound is…beautiful. It’s diverse, it’s vivacious. It gives back, it pays forward. My Puget Sound is a warm, welcoming, web of friends, faculty, staff, professors, Tacomans, Sounders, flora, fauna, and most of all funtimes. Also a lot of homework. I hope it comes off as rad as I’m trying to make it sound.

Klahowya, new friends.

This entry was posted in Ryan Coleman '14 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.