It’s happening again. My roommate is gone for the weekend. That means I have our room ALL to myself. What do I do? What don’t I do? The possibilities are endless! Play video games all night? Watch Game of Thrones? Go out and come back obscenely late? Have a girl over? Hah, who am I kidding? Any high school graduate knows that girls have cooties.
I’ll figure out something to do with my Saturday night, eventually, probably, hopefully. But what about you? What should you do if your roommate(s) is gone? I can think of a couple things:
- Hang out with the people on your floor! Saying “Hi” in the hallway isn’t gonna cut it. If you haven’t already, talk to your floor-mates! Go grab some pizza at The Cellar, catch a show somewhere on campus or go off campus and check out Tacoma! We were all accepted for a reason, and that’s because we’re insanely awesome!
- Netflix. No, not Netflix and Chill, just Netflix, and probably snacks. But if you’re down for some chilling, all power to you. Despite our university’s spotty wi-fi at times, we can still stream some of our favorite shows and movies on our second favorite website (first is Amazon). If you’re short on snacks, pop over to The Cellar for pizza, ice cream and soda, all part of a balanced college diet. Hey, you can even invite your floor-mates and friends over to watch!
- ALL THE SNACKS. Just eat all the snacks in your room. You know you’ve always wanted to. Just tell your roommate a raccoon or deer or something beat you up and took all the snacks.
- Mess with your roommates stuff. (Caution: Only do this if you and your roommate have established it is okay to prank on another.) Have you ever seen those videos where someone goes on vacation only to discover their co-workers have filled their cubicle with balloon? Do that. Wrap their stuff in tin foil. Rearrange all of their stuff. Completely redecorate the room without telling them. Put their stuff in jello. The possibilities are endless!
- Enjoy the privacy. Most of us were used to having a room to ourselves before coming here. Then we got stuck with a roommate and have had pretty much no privacy since. How long has it been since you had a room to yourself? Enjoy it while it lasts.
- Sit around and wait for them to come back. Admit it. Once they walked out of the door, you started missing them. For most people, their roommate is their best friend. If anything, you got used to having someone around. There’s no shame in staring at the door, waiting for that knob to turn.
The list goes on and on. I hope these help you overcome the boredom of not having a roommate for a little while. Have fun!