Greek Life at the Puge

Puget Sound is not your typical college, it’s not massively big or crazy but that community friendly, super green, comfortable liberal arts feel. And the same welcoming fun lies in Greek Life.

My only perspective of Greek Life was through Legally Blonde, Greek the TV show and the media; loud, raging, superficial cliques of people. Puget Sound is completely different, with Greek Recruitment in January first year students have a chance to become adapted to Puget Sound and meet a variety of people, and someone is likely to be in Greek Life! Recruitment was four long days/nights of smiling, chit-chat, talking about myself and watching Friends & Boy Meets World in between. My cheeks hurt, I had reading to complete, and my head hurt. Every house was completely welcoming, willing to answer questions, and share how much their sorority is a knit-group of sisters.

Bid Night was amazingly fun to see the rest of the girls who joined the same house as me, as well as meeting 70 of my new sisters in all kinds of wacky costumes (wedding dresses, princesses and face paint ensued)! I was really excited to get to know everyone better and it was so much more fun to find out we were going to go roller skating, and I’ve never been! I fell on my butt and boy did it hurt but everyone was really sweet making sure I was okay. Along with some cheesy pizza, homemade photobooth and props and candy bar, the night and my introduction to Greek Life and Kappa Alpha Theta was real sweet!

It’s only been a few short weeks since Recruitment and everyone has been really gracious answering questions, getting coffee and altogether inviting us over to the House to watch the SuperBowl or the Olympics and I think it’s definitely been a fabulous addition to my life at the Puge. It’s interesting to learn the history of my female fraternity (first ever!) as well as our individual chapter here at Puget Sound along with Panhellenic and the other Houses (Sigma Chi Valentine’s & Beta singing at Chapter). So many fun events have already happened I can’t wait to see what other adventures Greek life holds for me!

This entry was posted in Rachel Tanoue '17 and tagged , , by rtanoue. Bookmark the permalink.

About rtanoue

Hey! I'm Rachel Tanoue, a biology major neuroscience and bioethics emphasis in my sophomore year here at Puget Sound! I come from Aiea Heights, Hawaii (island: Oahu) & am super excited to live in the NorthWest! I'm a coxswain on the UPS men's varsity crew team, Hui O Hawaii member, Secretary on ASUPS Senate, a Theta & a Cellar-ite! Puget Sound offers so many opportunities in Tacoma, the surrounding areas, the academic community and in everyone else who calls themself a logger, I'm so excited to share all my thoughts and adventures with you! #oncealogger #alwaysalogger