Update from Nadia Engelbrecht

Nadia Engelbrecht, alumna (class of ’11), Hanoi, Vietnam

Greetings from Vietnam –

I am not much of a blog writer but I have really enjoyed reading the updates posted and figured that the more people write the more I get to read!

So here goes –

Just a few weeks after graduation I packed up all I own into three suitcases and caught a plane to the one place I consider “home” at least for now – Hanoi, Vietnam. The day after I arrived, I started my new job. It was quite a shock to my body starting work so soon, considering I had to recover from jet lag, reaclimate to the weather (it’s very hot here and extremely humid!) and at the same time finish off writing one last research paper that I had yet to complete. In short, I had plenty to do! Fortunately, I also got to spend the first few weeks with my parents, hanging out and doing all of our favorite things. A few weeks after returning, I took a week off work and flew down to central Vietnam for a beach vacation with my mother and younger brother! This was much needed!

By the first of July I had settled into my new job and moved into my very own place, a sweet studio on the second floor, right on a lake – one of the best views in town! I feel quite lucky! I live just upstairs from two of my closest friends and only five minutes away from work! Work – what do I do? Well, I got a job at a small international school teaching part time and working as the office manager. It’s quite a lot of work, but I’m loving it! I learn something new everyday. There are just over 50 children at our school and over 25 different nationalities! Pretty diverse 🙂 We have children from Vietnam, Spain, USA, UK, Holland, Germany, China, Guatamala and many more countries! I love working in such a multi cultural setting!

Aside from work, I also joined a local theater troupe known as the Hanoi International Theater Society. This summer along with a few members from the group we put on a production of one acts called Summer Shorts! It was a complete success and a whole lot of fun! It was a 90 minute show with over 18 actors, 3 directors, 5 one acts and a monologue! I love that at this point in my life I am involved in two projects related to two areas that I am extremely passionate about – the theater and education!

As far as my long term plans are concerned – I am planning on staying in Vietnam for at least two more years (COME VISIT!!) ! I love it here – I am always happiest in tropical countries, plus there is an abundance of jobs, amazing people and opportunities here! Eventually I see my self going back to school to continue studying, I’d love to get a degree in educational psychology and work with international schools around the world! But for now I am definitely enjoying NOT being a student and making plenty of money, most of which I am saving to travel around the world with 🙂

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.