Update from Elisabeth Meinig

Elisabeth Meinig, alumna (class of ’11), Colorado Springs, CO

Well hello!

As with most everyone else, I am currently trying to adjust to being a “post grad” and am beginning to experience the sadness that I, for the first time ever, will not be returning to school this fall! My summer has been filled with some little adventures! I went to Burn Camp to be a camp counselor for Arizona Foundation for Burns and Trauma. Probably one of the coolest things I experienced was one of my campers was extremely traumatized from a recent fire and was so quiet (I mean, QUIET. She talked to NO ONE and would only nod her head in response to yes/no questions). I found out that she liked horses and using my thesis research (on animal assisted therapy for children), we set up a little program for her to spend time with the camp horses every day, which turned out to be incredibly successful! By the end of the week, although she didn’t get completely verbal, she did form short sentences, smiled a lot more and would actively participate in camp activities! So neat!

I am currently working on applications for grad school (my dream is to become a teacher!) and studying for the GRE. I also am traveling to Nepal in September for 3 months and am preparing for that! Lots of vaccines and a huge packing list, but I am super excited! My boyfriend (who I am totally dragging along and who is somewhat apprehensive) and I will be working for a foundation called the Nepali Youth Foundation, a foundation that rescues children from child slavery and houses them in a safe place, gives them medical care, and educates them. I am not exactly sure what I’ll be doing specifically, but I think I will be teaching English, but we will see when we get there!

Sounds like you all are doing great and it’s comforting knowing we are all in similar places and experiencing similar pangs for the student life! Best best best!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.