The Balance of the Universe, or something

Sometimes things just happen that make me wonder if there really is some sort of balance in the universe that we all must adhere to.

I’ve been really lucky during my past three years here, in that I’ve almost never gotten sick during school. I’ve gotten sick during a couple school breaks, sure; and my freshman year I got sick during reading period, but I was pretty much better by finals. Other than that, it’s been smooth sailing… up until this semester. It’s my last real semester at UPS, and I’ve caught the common cold three times in one semester. (I shudder to think what would’ve happened if I hadn’t gotten a flu shot in September.)

And I can’t help but wonder if the universe is trying to make up for all the time I’ve spent not being sick. Like I need to fill up my common cold quota, and deal with the same amount of viruses that other people have had to deal with, or something. I was talking to a friend earlier tonight who said that something similar has happened to her: for her first three years here, she has never had to pull an all-nighter, but this fall, she suddenly had to pull four of them in one semester. It’s like we as seniors suddenly have to pay our dues to ensure the balance of life.

I certainly don’t know what this means, but I know I’m pretty bummed that I have a cold right now. The Adelphians winter concert is coming up this weekend (in Kilworth Chapel, Saturday at 7:30pm and Sunday at 2:30pm!), and my mom and my sister are coming up to see it. And while I’m extremely excited that they’re going to be there for this concert, and while I’ve been loving our rehearsals and holiday songs as much as I always do… I’m probably going to be struggling not to cough my whole way through the concert this weekend, which is super annoying. Here’s to guzzling tea and honey!