That Lizzie Life: A Summer in Roma!

Hello first semester of senior year! It’s good to be back. This summer was particularly eventful; I spent the first half of it living that Lizzie McGuire life abroad in Italy! Last semester, I was lucky enough to have made it into a brand new connections class called Rome: Sketchbooks and Space. This class was based in the study and appreciation of ancient Roman art and architecture, focusing heavily on sacred spaces and the utilization of space as a whole. Throughout the semester each student also worked on a sketchbook with weekly entries. As an art major, I thoroughly enjoyed this aspect of the class, though it wasn’t all art majors in the class. The classroom part of the course was very interesting… but the best part was going to Italy for the first three weeks of summer.

You heard me, Italy! Our entire class lived in Rome– along with our fabulous professor and official guardian angel, Elise Richman– and worked in the Rome Center studio spaced owned by the University of Washington. The Rome Center was right in the middle of the beautiful Campo di Fiori, a bustling marketplace during the day and vibrant city life scene at night. I used to sit in this one particular windowsill and look out onto the square… and people used to take pictures of me in my little spot! I guess it is pretty rare to see a redhead in Rome. Here’s the view I had from that windowsill one night as the sun was setting. Stunning. 11390041_10153300221982778_8003798161520122779_n

Rome was absolutely incredible. Living in the middle of the city was an immersive experience unlike any other, and I even learned to speak a little Italian! Only really important phrases though, like how to order gelato. VERY important. Obviously. (Because let me tell you, I ordered a LOT of gelato.) 11390557_10153294800057778_3890304464546618693_n 11150770_10153274658902778_1091199211540635891_n11048653_10153252946412778_5336451221748938279_n

Aside from the hundreds of scoops of gelato I experienced, I also experienced an incredible amount of ancient art and architecture on our group trips to various museums and landmarks. Rome was surprising in that a lot of hugely historic landmarks are just smack in the center of town… the Pantheon, for example, is right in the middle of a residential area. The day we visited was one of our two free days in the three week trip and happened to also be the celebration of a religious holiday–the square was absolutely PACKED to watch the dropping of rose pedals from the oculus! I couldn’t get close enough to get a good photo, but I did get to see them sweep up the petals inside afterwards!

Hi mom!

Hi mom!

Probably my favorite picture from the trip, to be honest.

Kenzy Sorensen '15 and Marissa Irish '16 chillin' with the Arch of Constantine

Kenzy Sorensen ’15 and Marissa Irish ’16 chillin’ with the Arch of Constantine

The Fountain of Four Rivers

The Fountain of Four Rivers!!

I took SO many pictures in every museum we went in, but I’ve tried very hard to narrow it down for this post! Here’s some of my favorites:

Raphael's School of Athens in the Vatican Museums

Raphael’s School of Athens in the Vatican Museums

Laocoon and his Sons at the Uffizi in Florence!

A gorgeous church ceiling-- wish I could remember which one but there were just so many!

A gorgeous church ceiling– wish I could remember which one but there were just so many!

The inside of St. Peter's Basilica--absolutely breathtaking.

The inside of St. Peter’s Basilica–absolutely breathtaking.

Maggie Langford '17 and I found the fabulous David!

Maggie Langford ’17 and I found the fabulous David!

Gesuo Nuovo

Gesu Nuovo!

Modern work at the Venice Biennale

Modern work at the Venice Biennale

A sneaky and totally illegal selfie in the Sistine Chapel

Botticelli's Birth of Venus!!

Botticelli’s Birth of Venus!!

And of course, a gratuitous picture of me actually crying in front of Bernini’s Rape of Persephone — what else are you expected to do when confronted with work by your favorite sculptor/artist that you’ve studied for years and never thought you’d ever actually get to see in person? (This would not be the last time I cried in front of art while abroad, I promise you. Many happy tears were shed.)1896821_10153336121827778_4570791241242456298_n

The class didn’t just stick to Rome! We also went to Tivoli, Naples, Florence, Venice, and Pompeii. It was truly wonderful getting to experience so many culturally and historically cities.

Group potluck dinner at our apartment in Roma! Good food, good wine, and good company.

I could spend forever at the Tivoli Gardens

Napoli!

Napoli!

The marina in Naples-- so pretty it might not even be real.

The marina in Naples– so pretty it might not even be real.

Marissa and I atop a castle in Naples. Brilliant view.

Pompeii!!

Pompeii!!

The darling Carly Brock '16 posing in front of the Venice canals

The darling Carly Brock ’16 posing in front of the Venice canals

From Venice, with love

From Venice, with love

Snapped this atmospheric picture of Ally Suarez '16 in the Venice Biennale

Snapped this atmospheric picture of Ally Suarez ’16 in the Venice Biennale

Venice-- like living in a work of art.

Venice– like living in a work of art.

Venice sunset!

Venice sunset!

463 steps later... and I had this view of Florence from atop the Duomo. Incredible.

463 steps later… and I had this view of Florence from atop the Duomo. Incredible.

I left my heart in Firenze.

I left my heart in Firenze.

Florence was probably my favorite place we visited (and it had the best gelato!!), but Venice was particularly notable because I got to meet up with my now housemate and bff Maia Raeder ’16! She’d been studying abroad in Granada, Spain the semester previous, so it was but a hop, skip, and a jump to Italy to meet up with us!

Me and my bella Maia!

Me and my bella Maia!

Maia contemplating in the Venice Biennale

Ally and Maia enjoying the Venice view

Ally and Maia enjoying the Venice view

As we neared the end of our trip, our final assignment was upon us. During our last week in Rome, our class had unlimited access to the studio space to work on a sustained art project dealing with the themes of architecture and space. Here’s all the brilliant work everyone presented!

Ashley Dyas '16 -- Pompeii poppy

Ashley Dyas ’16 — Pompeii poppy

Marissa Irish '16 -- inspired by the Venice waterways

Marissa Irish ’16 — inspired by the Venice waterways

Olivia Turner '15 -- residential watercolors

Olivia Turner ’15 — residential watercolors

Paris Ebersviller '16 -- real flower stained glass windows

Paris Ebersviller ’16 — real flower stained glass windows

Maggie Langford '17 -- an eclectic mix of portraiture and pop-up artwork

Maggie Langford ’17 — an eclectic mix of portraiture and pop-up artwork

Ally Suarez '16 --arch and oculus

Ally Suarez ’16 –arch and oculus

Rachel Kalman '16 -- graphite sculptures

Rachel Kalman ’16 — graphite sculptures

Carly Brock '16 -- watercolor landscapes

Carly Brock ’16 — watercolor landscapes

My own work -- watercolor flowers of Pompeii, Venice, and Rome

My own work — watercolor flowers of Pompeii, Venice, and Rome

Aliyah Boucher '15 -- a spacial representation

Aliyah Boucher ’15 — a spacial representation

Overall, the experience was incredible. Being able to witness in person the art and architecture I’ve studied for so many of my years as a student was something I never thought I’d be able to do. Needless to say, I am very blessed to be going to a university where a trip like this is possible and affordable. After my trip to Italy, I flitted around Europe for ten more days with my friends Marissa and Ashley–but that’s another post altogether! One day, I’ll make it back to Italy, and this time with more language skills besides, “I’d like chocolate gelato please!”

Ciao! 😉

All the bellas and Elise!

All the bellas and Elise!