What’s in the Box?

This semester, I’m taking my first ever oil painting class. As an art major, I’m required to take several classes outside my emphasis (printmaking), so I decided to try my hand at painting! It’s been a rough process, but I finally finished a painting that I’m pretty proud of. The assignment was called the “box project.” We were tasked with filling a box with a few objects and a 2D image that would create a composition we wanted to paint. I went with a beachy theme and borrowed a few things from my suitemate. Here’s what my box looked like!Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

I took a few photos through my painting process and I thought I’d share them with you guys. Here’s how this piece all went down.

My palette: so many shades of blue and teal!

First few layers...

First few layers…

Glass bottle progress!

Glass bottle progress!

So close!!

So close!!

After many, MANY hours in the studio with m’gurl Leslie Knope…I finally finished!

FINALLY! DONE!

FINALLY! DONE!

You know what they say, you are your own worst critic… but I don’t even hate this! In fact, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. The photo in the background is one that my mom took of the beach in my hometown, and I was thinking I might send her this painting as a Mother’s Day gift! (Let’s hope she doesn’t see this post and ruin the surprise!) What do you think, pretty close? IMG_8378