November Writing Madness

Holy cow, I didn’t even realize that more than two weeks have zipped by since I last wrote a blog or even checked in to read everybody else’s posts. It seems we’ve hit that point in the semester where everything happens at once, and suddenly you turn around and it’s almost Thanksgiving, and you’re still living on leftover Halloween candy that’s strewn around your bedroom and getting occasional urges to dress up as Bilbo Baggins. (No? Just me? Okay.)

I may not have been blogging much, but I have been writing a lot: I’m working on three different research papers right now (god help me), as well as taking part in National Novel Writing Month. NaNoWriMo is something I’ve done every year since I was in high school, and every year around this time I start to question my sanity. Why on earth did I think this is a good idea? I don’t have time to write 50,000 words of a novel in a month, who am I kidding? But, on the other hand, I did meet some of my best friends at this school through NaNoWriMo in my freshman year, so this November writing madness at Puget Sound sort of has a special place in my heart.

It’s weird to think about, because I’ve always loved creative writing, but before coming to this school–well, really, before this past year–I had sort of a phobia of showing anybody anything I’d written. This semester, though, I finally managed to get over a lot of that fear, and I know that a lot of that is due to the intro to poetry writing class I took last spring. I had been so reluctant to take a creative writing class, because I knew that I would have to share my work with my peers, and that terrified me. It wasn’t until my advisor really drilled it into my head, You NEED to take this course to fulfill your major, that I finally bit the bullet and just took the class, and I am so glad I did. That class forced me to get my feet wet, share my work with people, write about surprisingly personal things… and then helped me to realize that my peers have a lot of positive feedback as well as really helpful constructive criticism to give. My classmates and I were all in the same boat, all sharing our work with each other, and that definitely made the whole experience very supportive and welcoming rather than, you know… terrifying.

So anyway, it’s probably because of that class that I’m a lot more comfortable with my writing nowadays. In my previous years here, I’d always wanted to take part in Crosscurrents Review, or submit my own poetry or prose, but I was always too nervous when the deadline rolled around. This semester I managed to submit poetry to both Crosscurrents and Wetlands, and had a lot of fun being part of the poetry team on Crosscurrents Review.

Oh, and also, now I write blogs on here for random fellow students to read, so… there’s that. :)

‘Til next time… peace be in the galaxy, fools!