Who says corporate culture is cold?

So as promised this post is going to be about the fun stuff about working at Intel®, and by fun stuff I mean the corporate culture and climate. For you non-business majors corporate culture is basically the mission and values and such of a company. The climate of a workplace is how the workers percieve their work environment.

So first let me talk about the corporate culture here, in my perception, if you are really interested in mission and vision statements you can look those up on intel.com. So I think intel is VERY service oriented. They have something called Intel Involved® which is a program that encourages Intel® employees to volunteer.

Today I got Intel® Involved by volunteering an hour of my time to speak with students from the Riodran Scholar Program about the transition from high school to college to work. It was a ton of fun, the kids asked me great questions, like whether marketing is a stable career ( gosh I don’t know!?) and how I landed my internship  (networking and an incredible amount of luck).

I did some research on the Riordan program and learned that it is supported by UCLA’s Anderson School of Management, how cool is that? I think that would be a nice thing for our Business Leadership program at Puget Sound to try too! So what I gathered was that these students, from the Riordan get to visit different colleges, and companies and then go to dinner to talk about their experiences. Because these students are underprivildged they may not otherwise get the opportunity to visit colleges and learn about the different opportunities they have. I think it was an hour well spent! 

Now lets talk about Intel® climate. One of the first things I noticed about Intel® was that their is no differentiation in terms of rank. I can go to anyone, my manager, my managers manager, or the head manager for help. We even all sit in exactly the same size cubicles, no corner offices, although I suspect those who have been here a while get a nice window cubicle. Another awesome thing about working here, well awesome for me anyway, is that I can wear whatever I like, for example, today I’m wearing a very sparkly blue sweater and purple alligator skin heels. People show up in anything from super formal suit and tie to ultra casual shorts and Hawaiian shirts. I have given myself a rule to wear semi-casual colorful clothes and dress up for days I have meetings.

Some cool stuff for interns here is cookie time on Friday afternoons where they give us free cookies, ( for those of us health inclined, everyone, including non-interns, gets free fruit). Today they apparently forgot to put out cookies,  people are in a rush since there might be a power outage at 4, so my inbox is filled with interns complaining, haha. Another nice thing Intel® has for the Interns is our own blog site, where people post things like sign up sheets for skydiving trips, end of the summer trips to Great America Theme Park and ask for volunteers to help with data research. I myself posted a survey recently about movie watching preferences for people aged 14-24. Which by the way I am going to post here, so you all can check it out and maybe help me with research ( and possibly win 25 dollars).

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DRLQB6K 

Overall I can see why our company is often noted as a great place to work.  Oh and I found a picture online of my building!

This entry was posted in Vishakha Gupta '14. Bookmark the permalink.