Life as a Normal Student

Life as a normal student, Day 22: Had to print handouts for my entire class today. Had to go to the library, since I can’t use the office Xerox machine anymore. That meant waking up thirty minutes earlier, finding an available computer in the library basement, waiting for other students to finish printing, and then staple each of the fifteen handouts individually. It’s rough out here, I’m telling you.

Kidding. Kind of.

One of the perks of being done: a trip home to see my dog, Kenzie

My apologies for the lack of blogs as of late. I’ve been writing a lot, actually; just not for the school blog. Along with the variety of essays that most UPS students are constantly working on, I wrote a 20,000-word continuity for the next ASUPS President, three short pieces of fiction for my creative writing class and three blogs for the Huffington Post.

But I’m back, at least momentarily.

Dean Segawa was kind enough to stop by and say hi to me the other afternoon while I was studying where “normal kids” study: tables in the second floor of Marshall Hall (and not the spacious confines of the ASUPS office). Of course, his first question was: “How is life not being President?”

My answer? Great.

People seem to keep expecting me to exhibit some nostalgic longing, but I couldn’t be further from doing that. It’s not that I don’t care incredibly about the ASUPS—and even more for the people who I got to work with in my job as president—but rather it’s a sense of completion. I feel like we achieved what we set out to achieve, and now I am 110% confident that the next administration—led by Brian Ernst and Rachel Borsini—will keep it going in a positive direction with their own innovative, passionate leadership. When you’re satisfied with the work you did, and fully-confident in the work that is going to be done by the next administration, it is easy to look forward rather than backward.

An incredible team to work with

That stage of my college experience—and it was an indescribably-fulfilling stage—is over, and I’m ready for the next stage: preparation to leave UPS. In a little over two months, I’ll arrive in Mississippi to begin training for Teach For America, and in another two months I’ll be standing at the front of my own classroom. Needless to say, there is a lot of preparation left to do.

So for the next two months, I’ll finish up the academic requirements left for me, start packing/prepping for TFA, go to the gym more often, take a nap every now and then, and—this is weird to type—begin getting ready to say good bye to the place I’ve called home for the greater part of the past four years.

I’ll try to blog a little more often than I have been, but I won’t promise anything. My first priority is spending time with all the people I’ve come to know at Puget Sound, since in a couple months time will have expired on that opportunity. This school has been inexplicably kind to me, and I have two months left to say goodbye.

Time to get to work.

This entry was posted in Marcus Luther '12. Bookmark the permalink.