Writing a Meta-Theatrical, Musical Murder Mystery (About Macbeth) Part 1

Fight Call Poster

I started composing an original musical with my brother during my sophomore year of high school. The musical, Fight Call, is best described as a meta-theatrical murder mystery about Macbeth. (I kid, but it really is part murder mystery, part Macbeth adaptation, part musical comedy). The show features a community theatre production of Macbeth entitled, “Mac, The Musical!” The play, Macbeth, is known as being cursed in the theatre community, and this production proves that everything that can go wrong really will when the actors start dying and the mildly-insane artistic director demands that the show must go on. Audience members are forced to step in for actors and continue the musical comedy in spite of the chaos.

This winter break, I had the extremely-fortunate opportunity to attend rehearsals for a professional staged-reading of Fight Call taking place in Portland’s “Fertile Ground” festival of new theatre. My show was being produced by a professional company of actors, a piano-accompanist, and a music director.

The only problem was that we didn’t exactly have a piano score. While I had a vocal score, and I had even performed the show with a small group in an earlier staged-reading to demo tracks

Piano-Vocal Score for the Opening Number

that I recorded, the piano score was still in the process of being completed. I spent the first two weeks of my break transcribing the entirety of the show into a readable and accurate piano score (a very time-consuming task, although much helped by today’s music software – I digress). Fortunately I had scored some of the songs for piano, but now was the time to add all of the finishing touches, proofread my work, and score a few songs that were added after the initial staged-reading.

After two weeks I handed my score over to the music director, crossed my fingers, and took a break. Rehearsals were in a few days!

That’s a lot for one post! I’ll post again soon about rehearsals as soon as I get a chance. I will post lots of rehearsal photos, so stay tuned.

I’m sure I’ll be posting these again, but while I’m at it, here’s the latest promotional videos for Fight Call. Here’s one from a full run-through:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA3Q236dm_A

And here’s one from the first music rehearsal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjMy5ZkAxv0

Enjoy!

The Full Piano-Vocal Score

This entry was posted in Billy Rathje '15 and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.