The Enlightenment

Leopard slugs (limax maximus) exchanging sperm. Each is a hermaphrodite and will leave the exchange impregnated.

The specific enlightenment to which the title of this blog refers is the crucial education that every human being deserves about animal sex. Yes, I finally showed my housemates the slug sex video (an excerpt from the Planet Earth series http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhVi4Z6CjZk). I also dare say I impressed and disturbed them with my rather diverse knowledge of weird animal sex facts. My top four to share: the glowing orb penis flower of leopard slug sex; penis fencing in flatworms, in which sex becomes a battle and impregnation signifies defeat; the only time in a tortoise’s life that it creates audible sound is during copulation; and the majority of times a male giraffe has sex it is with other male giraffes. I could go on, but perhaps that is not why you are reading this blog.

One last interesting tid bit: sperm whales are called sperm whales because of the clearish, whitish fluid that fills their head cavities. This “sperm oil” is not in fact any kind of sperm (its true biological function is still under debate but the theories are related to buoyancy and nasal lubrication), but is boiled down to make spermaceti, which is useful as a lubricant or wax ingredient in things like cosmetics and leatherworking. Another valuable part of the sperm whale was/is the ambergris, a waxy solid found in their digestive system. This substance was often regurgitated by whales during slaughter and is a highly prised scent to this day. So, yes, your expensive ambergris Channel perfume is actually whale vomit.

The spermaceti organ of the sperm whale (Physeter macrocephalus) produces "sperm oil" which can be distilled into a lubricant.

In my SEA classes we are currently learning about celestial navigation, the history of authority on maritime vessels, the colonization of the Atlantic world, and all sorts of things about oceanography. Oceanography is proving a meaner beast than I had expected (more like the ominous love-child of physics and chemistry parading as a friendly ocean science). Still, I am going through the now familiar routine of crafting a research proposal. My classes and research experience at Puget Sound have prepared me well for this task.

Speaking of which, Ron Tom just invited me to a Fireside Dinner. I get it, Puget Sound. You are going on without me. I feel like the fat kid with the sprained ankle on the field-trip to the botanical gardens; I can only imagine my classmates frolicking gaily about in a floral wonderland because I am stuck on the bench inside, where the receptionist feeds me donuts and lets me play with her flight simulator, while really everyone else goes outside and gets a poison ivy rash. That was an abridged version of my ambivalence about my absence from Puget Sound this semester. Yes, I make a habit of literally envisioning my feelings, thoughts, and things I hear in alternate metaphorical or literal settings. Keeps the mind limber.

In all seriousness, I am very grateful for and excited about my time here at SEA. The experience I gain here will be invaluable (and really quite badass, once I can navigate by the stars). My shipmates are truly delightful, and I am enjoying living and learning with them.

As an endnote, I must confess that I have regressed into a bad habit under the pressure of my peers here. It’s the hair dying. My hair is currently a confused mess of (the colors) artificial butternut squash, stubborn astronaut ice-cream pink, and defeated blond. Literally envision that one.

This entry was posted in Mary Krauszer '12 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.