Hump Day

It’s Wednesday of midterms, and I’m still alive. I had a Physiology exam today, I just finished writing my Biochemistry lab report (at 12:45am, no less), and I have one more Education essay due on Friday. I also (finally… it took me long enough) wrapped up my summer research earlier this week by finishing data analysis and getting all of my results to my advisor. All three of my midterm assignments have been really interesting, but it does not make them any less difficult or time-consuming. My Physio exam was on neurology, and I’m asatounded by how complex our brains and neural systems are! My Biochemistry report – for you nerds out there – was all about the enzyme, fumarase. It’s used in the Citric Acid/Kreb’s Cycle for metabolism, and we looked at its pH profile, stereospecificity, reaction mechanism, and thermodynamics. It’s amazing how much a few UV-Vis spectra, a few H-NMR spectra, and some brain power will tell you!  Finally, my Education paper is comparing two high schools from my hometown. In what I’ve done so far, there are some interesting and unexpected similarities/differences, so I’m excited to delve further into that paper tomorrow!

This weekend is FALL BREAK! After Midterms, everyone gets a 4-day weekend, and I’m using mine to fly out to Rhode Island to visit some friends I made in Edinburgh that all go to Brown. I’m so, so, so, so, so excited!! It will be nice to get out of Tacoma (although it’s an awesome city, nothing really compares to traveling around the UK and Europe every weekend for a semester…), see them, catch up, and take a brief break from school. Unlike high school, we don’t get random inservice/conference/holiday days off. We get 5 days off the entire semester (3 days for Thanksgiving and 2 for Fall Break). It can get tiring, but it’s worth it in May when we are done before anyone else. 🙂

I have to get back to revising my report, but hopefully I’ll update next with lots of fun stories (and pictures) from Providence and with enough renewed energy to tackle the second half of the semester.

Signing Off,
A Senior Who Can’t Believe She’s Already 1/4 Through Her Last Year!!

PS: For those of you following… I got the Teach For America final interview, and will be doing that next Thursday the 21st! Be sure to send all your positive/future teacher vibes up to Seattle then!!

This entry was posted in Alayna Schoblaske '11. Bookmark the permalink.