A Working Woman

Liz Bird, alumna (class of ’11), Tacoma, WA

Okay. Time for my blog update! So, since I wrote last, I started my job as a Case Manager at Comprehensive Life Resources. I’ve been there about a month and a half and it has been an amazing experience so far. I have a caseload of around 10 kiddos, my own desk, work phone, work computer, and I share an office with a lovely young woman who graduated from UPS a couple years before I did.

I work on the “Willow” Team, with a supervisor and multiple therapists to run a BRS (behavioral rehabilitation services) foster care program. My responsibilities are varied and fulfilling, and include paperwork, meetings, setting up meetings, direct work with foster parents, clients, and bio families, and many other little things that I can’t even begin to explain. Basically, I manage things! My tendency to do things early and be organized and picky are serving me well. There are definitely things that are really tough about the job emotionally and in terms of prioritizing tasks and multi-tasking. I don’t really know how much I can put on this blog, but if anyone wants to talk to me more one-on-one about it, I would be happy to talk a little more in detail.

I am struggling to study for the GRE, and have stopped studying entirely as of late. I’m wondering if it would be better to just start up again when I move to Vermont since I will have fewer friends that I want to hang out with all the time! And my boyfriend will be across the country 🙁 I am auditing that class, and sometimes I regret doing it…its hard to want to go to an undergraduate class now that I’m done. I want to go to graduate school! But not yet. 🙂 I’m really enjoying my time off of school. Ive been cooking, taking classes at the YMCA (I tried cycling tonight and it was hard!), and making loads of jewelry! I’ve sold on campus three times and it has been a blast every time. 

Vermont is quickly approaching and I am starting to look for housing in Burlington as well as plan my drive across the country with my boyfriend in December. I will also need to get rid of my stuff and or pack it all up! Definitely a daunting task. 

Well, its almost 10:30pm…my new bedtime as a working woman 🙂

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.