As the spring semester begins, read about the accomplishments for sustainability this past fall, several of which are continuing this upcoming semester.
Highlights from Fall 2012:
- Live Green Challenge, all Resident Halls increased their volume of recycling between October and November with Sewlangster having the greatest change.
- Water Bottle Resolution, SSC and ASUPS passed a resolution to reduce single-use water bottles sold in the Diner.
- Farm to Table, the Diner partnered with Terra Organics to provide local and seasonal produce every month.
- Student Market, SSC held a successful biannual student market that featured an array of handmade crafts and baked goods.
- Capacity building, SAC introduced a new Facebook page and blog to follow sustainability all over campus.
- New Loggers Eat Local Logo, SAC Outreach created a new logo to encompass all of the effort in the Diner to provide local and sustainable produce.
- Eco2go Containers, the Diner now offers to go containers to help reduce the amount of paper waste.
- Replace Water Bottles, following the SSC and ASUPS resolution, single use plastic water bottles in the Diner will be replaced with new labels that advocate reuse and tap water.
- Graduation Fair Green Pledge, graduating senior will be offered the opportunity to pledge to take sustainability into account as they enter a career.
- Earth Week, plans are being arranged to celebrate the 43rd anniversary of Earth Day. Events will be soon announced.
- Food InSinkErator, coming this spring, the City of Tacoma is going to be working with the Diner to implement a food InSinkErator that will allow food waste to be sent to Tagro to be used as compost.
- Continuation of Fall Programs, including the Farm to Table, Eco2go containers, and continuing the Facebook and blog.