Here are a few tips from Sustainability Services to help as you prepare to move out for the holiday season:
- Start packing early!
- Unplug all appliances including surge protectors; phantom energy consumed may be of the order of 10% of the electrical energy used by a typical household.
- Make sure your heat is off and the windows are closed
- Think about your purchases for the next two weeks. Don’t buy food that you cannot consume and will perish over the break.
- Try to carpool with several people to the airport or back home.
- If you don’t need items such as books, clothes, electronics, batteries, furniture, rugs, etc. consider donating it rather than disposing of it.
- Toiletries and cleaning supplies can be donated as well
- Consider storing your items rather than shipping stuff home. It could also save you a lot of time at the airport.
For all items to be donated or disposed of feel free to contact sustainability services at 253-879-1560 or email at email@example.com