Learning Commons Screen

While most everything about this library is superb, I find the TV in the 1st floor computer area to be an unnecessary distraction. I’m not sure if the intention of playing CNN all day is to engage students with world news – if it is, I appreciate the thought. However, I believe that TVs are more at home in sports bars and airports than the library. If students really want good news they can find it on the internet! I think having the TV off at all times would foster a more serious and focused study environment

Thanks for your feedback! We really appreciate your complement, and thanks for letting us know that the TV is distracting right now.

The Learning Commons screen was installed last year, and functions as an electronic notice board and display and, as you’ve noticed, also as a TV. You’re exactly right that we hope having CNN on will connect students to world news. During the quieter, more informal summer months, we commonly turned to the screen for a news stream.

However, now that the college is in session, we agree that it’s more useful and less distracting to revert to mainly library announcements, with only an hour or so of news per day or when special events occur (for example, State of the Union addresses and so forth).

So, if you haven’t noticed it already, we hope you’ll soon notice the change.

This entry was posted in Signage and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.