From the Archives and Special Collections: Don’t Throw it Away!

archives_yellowONESWhen I got assigned to work with the Ephemera collection I really had no idea what ‘ephemera’ was. Two years ago I was given the job of re-foldering, re-boxing, and scanning the University of Puget Sound Ephemera collection. It didn’t take long to learn that ephemera are the things that existed or were used for only a short amount of time. We have almost thirty boxes of invitations, programs, pamphlets, calendars, and many other things dating all the way back to 1888. So all of that stuff you usually throw away are actually interesting and insightful pieces of history.

Over the years, I’ve come across some pretty unique things. Some of my favorite items are the fraternity and sorority dance programs. They are little booklets that describe the dance and they also provide a place to write in people you dance with. They are also very nicely put together and look more like a piece of art than a program. More recently, I’ve come across a pamphlet that says SURVIVAL on the front. Of course I was curious. The pamphlet outlines all of the resources on and off campus for any mental or physical health needs. Today, we have all of those resources and more but I do not think they advertise them as ways in which one would survive.

There are many other interesting things in the Ephemera collection. There are menus for banquets that usually have strange food items on them and sports programs that have great photos of the athletes. Check out the Ephemera Collection online or stop by the Archives and Special Collections to get a better look!

The Archives and Special Collections is open on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays from 12:00-3:00 p.m. or by appointment.

By Sierra Scott

This entry was posted in From the Archives. Bookmark the permalink.