Collins Library Welcomes Katy Curtis – Humanities Librarian

Katy_CurtisWelcome to Katy Curtis

Collins Memorial Library is delighted to welcome Katy Curtis as our new humanities librarian. Katy will join the liaison team and will be responsible for services in support of English, French Studies, Hispanic Studies, German Studies, Latina/o Studies, Philosophy as well as support the first-year seminars. Katy received her Master of Library and Information Sciences from the University of Washington and her Master of Arts in Modern Languages and Literatures from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.  She has a Bachelor of Arts in French language and literature from the University of South Florida.

Katy most recently served as a graduate reference assistant at the UW-Tacoma Library, where she provided instruction and reference and participated in collection projects in Hispanic Studies and Life Skills. While a student at UW she also collaborated with the Romance Languages and Literature Librarian on a variety of projects, served as a volunteer for the Internet Public Library, and taught information literacy classes.

What excites you about joining Collins?
I’m really excited to be joining the Collins Library and the University of Puget Sound because of their commitment to fostering a community of learning through strong liberal arts programs and an interdisciplinary approach to education. Building and furthering strong connections with students, faculty, staff, and our community is something that I’m excited to pursue when I arrive on campus this fall. The Collins librarians and staff are enthusiastic, active, and engaged with the campus and the larger academic community and I’m looking forward to working closely them to connect users with their resources.

What appeals to you about the position?
I’m thrilled to be joining the Collins Library as a humanities librarian because I believe that the humanities offer a wide range of exciting, engaging, and diverse research possibilities that are deeply connected to our lived experiences. Studying and building upon our cultural record allows students (myself included!) to experience a sense of connection with our contemporaries and those who came before us. Exploring the humanities helps us learn how to think creatively and critically, to acknowledge ambiguities, and to ask questions – all of which help us engage with each other and sustain lifelong learning. I’m looking forward to supporting students at Puget Sound as they build their understanding of information and refine skills for understanding, evaluating, and putting our cultural documents to use in traditional and innovative ways.

Anything you would like to share.
I am originally from central Florida and I moved to Washington four years ago, after a brief stop in Nebraska. I love the Puget Sound area and in my spare time, I spend a lot of time exploring – suggestions are welcome!

This entry was posted in Announcements. Bookmark the permalink.