Each month at 4:00 p.m., the Archives & Special Collections will hold a series of informal presentations on current research, unique resources, and rare books that are part of the University of Puget Sound Collections. Join us for informal discussion, refreshments, and the opportunity to handle documents and artifacts hundreds of years old!
- 9/16: Solveig Robinson, The Book in Society: An Introduction to Print Culture —
Solveig Robinson, Associate Professor of English and Director of the Publishing & Printing Arts Program at Pacific Lutheran University, will discuss her recent book, The Book in Society: An Introduction to Print Culture, which examines the origins and development of the book, modern publishing and bookselling.
- Thursday, 10/9: Gudrun Aurand – “At Home” Preservation. Learn how you can preserve and maintain your personal papers, photographs, and documents.
- 11/4: Peggy Burge and Laura Edgar, Digital Humanities —
Peggy Burge, humanities librarian at the University of Puget Sound, will discuss opportunities to incorporate digital methods into humanities classrooms while Laura Edgar, curator of the Abby Williams Hill Collection, will give an overview of the planning, implementation and outcomes of the Hill digital project which utilized portions of Hill’s personal papers.
- 11/18: MalPina Chan, Artists’ Books as a Framework for Personal Narrative — MalPina Chan, a local artist and founding member of the Puget Sound Book Artists, will discuss her own work The Coaching Book that uses immigration papers, maps, photographs and artwork to examine her Chinese-American heritage. She will showcase how books can be the media in which powerful personal narratives can be expressed using images and media to tell a story. http://malpinachan.com/home.html
- 12/2: Behind the Scenes Tour of the Archives & Special Collections —
Curious about what is behind those locked doors on the second floor of the Library in the Archives & Special Collections? Interested in seeing some of the little known resources and treasures and learning about how the University of Puget Sound collects, preserves, and uses material from the Archives & Special Collections? Join us for a behind the scenes tour!